Doing Superman right in games, a kaiju sandbox, and other design thoughts

Just an assortment of ideas I’ve had, some of which (like this first Superman game concept) I’ve had floating around my brain for years, while others like the kaiju game concept I’ll explain after that are derivations of older ideas I’ve had. I’m not actively pursuing any of these, so feel free to lift and borrow elements, although I’d appreciate some form of credit down the road should these concepts be used in any significant measure. I’ll probably just add more segments to this original post as I have more ideas, so feel free to tag the thread with a one-character comment or subscribe or whatever this particular forum system allows, so you can keep picking up what I’m putting down, should you feel so inclined.

First off, Superman… Oh, Supes, your potential has always been limitless, so why in the actual f*ck do your games suck sooooo bad? The problem is exactly the fact that his power is nearly limitless, though. And you hear that question a lot: How do you make a game about a character with so many powers and still have it be challenging? The problem is that every dev who’s tackled the problem thus far has been thinking in the framework of conventional game design. They think they have to have a health bar, that there has to be a structured story, etc. These are tropes of the action game genre that have been around for ages, but for a character as iconic and powerful as Superman, they’re more of a prison than functioning design elements. So, how do we do justice (League) to the most OP hero in all of comicdom? Simple: represent him fairly in his own game.

We have Spider-men that swing, Batmen that stalk and detect, etc. Several industry-leading characters have had Hulking smash-hit franchises built around them because the characters’ powers, personalities and comic histories were honored to one extent or another. The most recent Insomniac-developed Spidey-game had those weird chem/tech puzzles, but people put up with them because they were quick, relatively simple, and the skill point rewards provided a tangible reason to engage in them, but most of all they were emblematic of the comic book Spider-Man we all know and love, the nerdy Pete who created his first web fluid using chemicals he lifted from his high school science lab. The puzzels may have annoyed some folk, but they fit the character so well that most people got over it and did them anyway.

The Batman Arkham and Insomniac Spidey games are the glorious works they are because rather than taking a game design and trying to fit a superhero into that framework, they took a beloved hero and designed the game around that hero. So, now to apply that principle to Supes! What do we know about him? Well, he’s invulnerable to almost all damage, meaning that a health bar is probably pointless. Sure, Kryptonite can sap him of his invulnerability, but superhero games often lean waaaay too heavily on devices like that to ratchet up a game’s difficulty and it usually comes across feeling fake and shoehorned. The knowledge of Superman’s vulnerability to Kryptonite has traditionally been held by a very narrow collective of individuals, including Batman and, of course, Lex Luthor. Batman has contingencies against all his super pals, including himself, but the whole reason that Lex never took his knowledge of Kryptonite to the Pentagon or UN or whatever was that Lex never let anyone else see his cards until he could maximize his profits from them. And Kryptonite as the only thing that can tame the closest thing Earth has to a God? There’s no way he’s giving that trump card up to anyone when he can maximize his profits from that knowledge, both financially and politically, by keeping that card close to his chest!

So we have an invulnerable superhero with a weakness that we should not exploit for cheap videogame challenge. What else do we know about him? He’s super-fast, super-strong, he can freeze things with his breath and even shoot lasers from his eyes… But all of these powers are, except in certain OP story arcs, innately limited. Except with his battle with Apocalypse, there has never been a competitor that has broken Superman unaided by Kryptonite. Yet all his other powers are generally shown to have limitations. From the perspective of game design, this is very good news! It means we can have him zip around large areas swiftly without making it some Goku-level instant transmission, we can have him lug around helicopters and large debris one at a time without enabling him to carry fifty of them at once, and we can have him freeze-delay large swaths of AI enemies without sacrificing the need to manage larger mobs.

But I’m doing a lot of round-about examination, which quite frankly is boring me now, so I’ll jump straight to the good stuff. What I propose is an open-world sandbox game where all hell is breaking loose across Metropolis and the surrounding areas. Supervillain “bosses” are running amok in specific segments of the city, dealing in their usual nefariousness, Lex has unleashed his private army upon Metropolis to defend against some alien threat or another in a bid to compete with Superman’s heroism (because of course, he is) and that leaves the city under siege. Superman can’t take any damage from almost anything, so the challenge isn’t about surviving enemy attacks, it comes from the simple fact that Superman, Clark Kent, is a good person who loves his family, friends, and country, and he doesn’t want to see his city and his home destroyed.

Something that the most recent Superman movies have completely missed out on in terms of Superman’s original character is that he’s just a guy with powers. He never wanted to be an outsider, he just wants to live and love like everyone else. Yet, as Stan Lee so famously penned, “with great power comes great responsibility,” and who is more powerful than Superman? This is an opportunity to see the humanizing side of Clark that we just don’t see in most of the big-budget stuff these days, as we follow him around, listening to his inner monologues and hear how he responds to the various threats to his home. This is a natural fit for a game all about saving a city and it’s people. As a sandbox game, you can go anywhere and do anything, so the onus rests upon the player to decide where he or she is needed most and to try to manage each crisis as quickly and safely as possible. Superman can’t be killed, but he can be too late, he can be knocked around or delayed or a million other things that can prevent him from saving the day. The player is basically rushing to save the city before the property damage-meter reaches 100%, because at that point, what the hell are you even trying to save, right? The city is in complete ruin!

And there’s not much else to it, really. Sure, the micro-designs of the particular enemies and the environments themselves, but it’s mostly a game about stopping two military forces and a handful of supervillains from destroying the city you call home. There’s no need for character upgrades or skill points, although some extra costumes to unlock are never a bad thing, and if we assume that we’re playing a younger Clark who has mostly just started his career, then we can avoid many of the plotholes that come with the comic arcs where he’s effectively flawless and all-powerful. (All-Star superman comes most quickly to mind, but there have been other arcs where his powers have become limitless.) Anyhow, as I mentioned above, I’ve had this game idea floating around my skull for years, now, but without working in the industry it’s a bit difficult to utilize such a brilliant design, eh? Ahh, c’est la vie… To be honest, I haven’t got the fortitude to work in a traditional employment setting anyway. I’m an ENTP, so I am to ideas what a nuclear generator is to energy, but it comes at the cost of being unable to focus too long on any one thing without getting bored, except when there’s more ideas to be generated from the material provided to me.

But the primary reason I even bring a licensed character’s game design up in the first place is that it feeds directly into this next game concept:

I started watching One Punch Man fairly recently. Yes, it’s been out for years now, but I wasn’t even interested until I saw an episode of Wisecrack Philosophy on YouTube where they were talking about genre deconstruction and highlighted that anime along with some others. At that point, I still hadn’t committed to watching it, but I did finally decide it was going on my mental list of things to check out in my (very rare) down-time. So when I finally brought it up on Netflix the other day (great intro, BTW) I was quite surprised at how funny and engaging the first few episodes have been. It probably helped that my bar of expectation was so low, to begin with. (Even I can’t think around every corner at all times, it doesn’t shame me to admit. But I can still think circles around most people. :stuck_out_tongue: ) In any case, there was one scene in particular during the intro sequence that caught my attention more than any other. The main character, Steve or whatever his name was, leaps hundreds of feet into the air and boops a gigantic kaiju on the nose at mach 4 speeds. They did this really cool slow-motion effect of the kaiju’s face distorting and breaking from the force of the punch, too. It was really cool to see.

But it wasn’t long after seeing that, I asked myself how a game could incorporate that sort of action on that scale, and my mind immediately went back to my Superman game concept from years ago, the one I laid out above. Within the usual five to ten minutes, I had a fully fleshed-out concept involving a huge island with kaiju monsters that crawl out of the sea and begin slowly carving paths of destruction through the wilds, suburbs, and cityscapes of the fictional island. They move slowly and steadily toward the center of the island, where an experimental nuclear generator is pumping out radiation that not only draws their attention but also makes them stronger and more aggressive the closer they get. As with the superman game concept above, your character doesn’t have any health to worry about, the game is pure action, albeit in this instance your character is wearing an experimental cybernetic exo-armor suit that enhances his strength and speed, the closer he is to the power-generator at the center of the island. In similar fashion to the superman game concept, as well, you’d have a property damage-meter that shows how much damage the city has sustained, as well as a population meter to show how many lives have been lost to either the kaiju or the player’s own actions or negligence. The player is rewarded after each kaiju is killed, and the reward scales with the property damage, so the less property damage to the city, the more cash you’re rewarded with. The population meter, on the other hand, determines the number of potential emergency assistance personnel and researchers you have to assist you in various ways.

For example, the more researchers you have, the faster upgrades become available to you to purchase. These can be things like grappling hooks, energy blades, jet packs, etc. And each of those would have additional upgrade tiers, as well. Even the suit can be upgraded to be stronger and faster and to be able to operate at greater efficiency further from the power generator. Emergency personnel would be like fire trucks and fighter pilots who periodically bombard the kaiju with missile salvos. The number of fighter jets that will assist you and the frequency with which they do so is also based upon your pop counter, so the more people you save, the more help you get in putting out fires and fighting the kaiju. Additionally, the player can select higher difficulty modes, which add one more kaiju for each tier of difficulty. However, this has the gameplay effect of causing the power generator to pump out more radiation, meaning the player is stronger and faster further from the generator, affording him or her more time to get to and fight each kaiju, all of which rise from the ocean in different directions. Difficulty can be changed in the pause menu, and of course, it is explained in-game as the greater power-production attracting more monsters.

Anyhow, this is a good stopping point for now, I’ll be back a bit later to add more ideas I’m working on. Gotta grab some brain-fuel and walk ol’ Muttley, here. Feel free to leave feedback, but try not to be d!cks about it. I’m here to share my thoughts, I’m not looking for criticism.

=======================================================================================================================

[Additions; 9/20/19]

There are a lot of City of Heroes clones coming out soon. City of Titans, Valiance Online, etc. Some of them are interesting enough but it seems like most of them are trying to recapture the magic of CoH without taking too many deviations from the established CoH formula. And that seems entirely silly, given the wealth of potentials inherent to the comic book superhero game genre. Some ideas I’ve had to push past the established CoH design fence:

• Completely classless system without leveling or character progression. Once people finalized their characters in CoH or any of its descendants, the’ve typically stuck with those characters. Superhero MMOs aren’t so much about progression as they are about players having a pallet and canvas with which to paint their own identity and story in the setting you provide. So I say ditch the levels altogether and create a completely classless system! If microtransactions are needed to sustain the project, the game can always have a costume parts store with a personality-rich character like Edna from the Incredibles offering wry witticisms from the side of the screen, maybe a bored, smarmy android or an absent-minded scientist who designs superhero costumes on the side to fund his research.

+Though classless, powers would be categorized according to origin (Mutation, Technical, and Arcanum) and also by role (Striker, Controller, Healer, and Tank) and would be combinable in any combination, yet limited by a point-based structure. Certain powers cost more creation points to possess, others cost fewer creation points, enabling players to have as many weaker powers and as many stronger powers as they’d like, so long as the point totals don’t exceed the allotted amount. In this way, players are given the tools to craft exactly the heroes they want to play as.

• New powers could be added routinely to the list for free (Costumes are going to be the primary attraction in terms of microtransactions, anyway) and of course, character respecs would be permitted and even encouraged, with a loadout system enabling for multiple power-sets and costumes to be utilized from quick-change stations set around the game world. Powers would be highly customizable, allowing for wing-mutations to sprout from the back, arms or ankles, energy beam projections to be any number of colors, shapes, and forms as well as being projected from the palms, fists, forehead, eyes, mouth, chest, etc. The more options you give players, the more personal their creations can be.

• Since the game wouldn’t have character progression, the emphasis would have to be on story-content and group play. In fact, the whole idea would be to create epic stories like you would find in comic books, requiring very particular sets of powers in some instances, although NPC support characters could always be leveraged for players who prefer to play solo. For example, let’s say the player is tasked with tracking down a thief who stole an arcane tablet from a museum. If the player doesn’t have an aura-sensing power, s/he can get another player to help out, or get an NPC mystic who is part of the plot to lend his or her services for a cost. The initial plot would require that traces of arcane power by detected and followed to the thief. If a player does this sub-task, however, bonus rewards are provided. Each story arch would have the type of gameplay required of them listed in the mission description given by the NPC or object that grants the mission, enabling players to play only the sort of missions that interest them. Such labels might include “Solo/Group Action”, “Mystery”, “Stealth”, “Character Story”, etc.

• Made to be played on gamepads, please. Not everyone is a savant with a keyboard and mouse. If games like ESO and FFXIV can do it, so can anyone else. Just takes a little bit of thinking through. Besides, gamepads are better-designed for fast-paced reflex-gameplay. XD

• The character creation points would be distributed along the lines of a four-part meter. As powers are selected, the point cost of the power in question is added to the meter, indicating how many point the player has remaining for selecting powers. The meter is 10 CPts high/long and segmented into four parts: four, three, two and one. These segments are for specialization, meaning that if the player only selects powers from one type of origin, they’ll get special benefits associated with that origin such as increases to the overall effectiveness of the power/ability in question, etc. The more the player specializes into one origin of powers, the better the benefits. Also, the same power can be selected multiple times, increasing its potency (And altering its visual effects to look more awesome) with each stack but also increasing the Energy-bar drain. Energy and health would be the only two meters and all characters would have a basic hand-to-hand melee attack and a grab action, meaning that characters who specialize entirely in the Super Strength power would be incredibly strong and could jump incredibly high, and run faster than most other characters, but could only use basic melee attacks and grapples in combat. Yet the sheer magnitude of the destruction such a character could cause would be pretty epic. A Super Strength Mutation would, of course, add to the character’s maximum health, as well, though not to the extent that a Super Endurance Mutation-power would have. A character who’s specialized in Tinkering Technical skill could hypothetically create custom power armors and such but would be almost useless in combat and the parts and blueprints required to make anything particularly cool would require enormous amounts of the Reputation or Credit currencies.

• All characters would have a Secret Identity model they can customize. The Secret Identity feature can be made to look identical to the Super Hero form, however, if the player wishes the character to sacrifice its anonymity. Some missions would only be available to characters with a Secret Identity, while other missions require a Public Hero without any anonymity. Anonymous Heroes can only gain Reputation currency rewards, while Public Heroes can gain both Reputation and Credit currencies. Certain vendors only accept one type of currency or the other, and Public Heroes are on a registry that requires them to play certain Government-funded missions or pay a fine for noncompliance. This gives players the choice to obtain unique items and schematics for the cost of a little bit of occasional extra work, while also reinforcing a sense of real-world consequences for their choices.

• speaking of consequences, the …Oops, just got called to dinner. I’ll continue this a bit later on.]

Hi [USER=“1774305”]Aquarian Rising[/USER]

Perhaps Kaiju are the Supervillians that Superman must defend against in addition to Lex Luthorian Army or Government Military Forces. My previous project was a Futuristic Soldiers vs Kaiju Sci-Fi FPS inspired by Crysis + my love Kaiju Monsters. So, this is a game concept that would like to see come fruition someday.

I can easily visualize consolidation of your concepts above into a single Asynchronous Multiplayer Game experience in which there’s a **roshambo **conflict between Super Alien vs Kaiju vs Earth Military Force :

• 1 Player plays as Super Alien ( Superman or other comparable Super ). [Action/Adventure Story] Flight + Multiple Powers. Goal Defend against Kaiju & Military forces to Minimize Damage and Save Civilians.
  • 1 Player plays as Commander of Earth Military Forces. [RTS] Control and deploy Military Soldiers and Weapon. Goal: seize control points and defend against Kaiju.
  • 24 Players play as Military Soldiers. [FPS/RPG] Classes & Skill Trees. Goal: Defeat Kaiju and the Super Alien.
  • 4 players play as Kaiju. [Brawler] Melee + Mass Destruction + 1 Super Weapon. Goal: Locate Power Reactors to feed/grow, Destroy all in your path.

Oh, very nice! I tend toward single-player games, myself, so I hadn’t really considered anything in that realm beyond four-player co-op. As to having the kaiju controlled by players, my only real concern would be that Evolve did it first and it didn’t fly very well, although part of that is just the nature of the hide-and-seek gameplay, I suspect. The monsters in that game were too weak at the start of each match, so any crew with at least one decent player could hunt and kill you before you could even get one evolution, but then the final form is so OP it’s almost impossible to win against them, particularly the Wraith aaaand… I forget what the other OP ones were. The Behemoth was relatively easy to take out, but most people played as anything else. In any case, the gameplay loop itself was deeply flawed, albeit the ideas underlying the game were awesome. I think any concept can be successful if it’s tweaked enough. The studio who made Evolve probably should’ve marketed it more at the Splinter Cell crowd than the boom-boom-shoot-em-uppers, but even then I have concerns about its gameplay loop.

Anyway, it’s funny that you should mention merging the two ideas because I was talking with a friend of mine who codes (but is too caught up in bills to work on anything with me) about the idea of doing a licensed Superman game as a first gig just to explode onto the scene. (This was after I had fully explained both game concepts) and he said he really wouldn’t be interested in doing a Superman game. I tried explaining that he’s the one superhero who hasn’t ever been done right so it would be an extremely good way to develop instant notoriety in the industry and produce a massive cult fan following, and the dude just kinda shrugged it off. Then I said we could do the kaiju project and obtain a license to add Superman in as a playable character and he was like, “Yeah, I could stomach that much.” Dude’s an ■■■, but I love him like a brother. XD

I should point out that the three-faction idea would substantially alter the nature of each match, beyond what Evolve had gone for. I’ll have to put some thought into that one; there’s some real gold there, I think.

Never played Evolved, although I’m huge fan of TurtleRock’s Left 4 Dead franchise. I would design all characters to use AI Control + Player Possession/Control, just because I want to cater to both Solo, Coop, and PvP Players.

I personally would not use the Superman IP as it would be extremely expensive to license. Superman has been around since 1950 and beat-to-death in various iterations and formats over the decades. Although there’s a massive amount Comic Book concept yet to be exploited, I’m sorta burned out on Superman, as I’m with Star Wars. Also, The reputation for Superman Solo in a game has been damaged just as you said. I fear potential players would assume the game will NOT do him right and avoid the game at all cost.

I’m all about customization in my game designs, so customizable super alien (hero) would be the route I would go. I’m think City of Heroes here and I acquired the DAZ Supersuit Pro Bundle a while back. There’s a slew of other Superman Clones that could use some love. If Players want to customize their Super Alien to look like Superman (there is no legal issue). Write the narrative in such a way it implies ‘Superman’ but its never explicitly stated its Superman. similar to how they pulled of Brightburn.

I’m a huge Kaiju Fan. They are in many of my game designs. I’m currently developing a Creature Creator inspired by Spore Creators to create vast assortments of Kaiju/Monsters. Always wanted to create a more ‘darker’ FPS version of Earth Defense Force. A sort of Survival Terror in which a group of Soldiers struggle to survive a Kaiju Attack. A Flashbulb of inspiration last week resulted in some notes for a Pokemon Go-like Location-based AR Kaiju Evolving Combat Game ‘World of Kaiju’ (working title). Have yet to get my Kaiju Monster Roar Sound Pack :frowning:With UE4 4.23 we get Chaos. I cannot wait to create massively destructible buildings for Kaijus to smash and destroy!

ExORION Super Soldier we’re my version of Superman in ExORION. In the Super Alien vs Kaiju vs Earth Military Force design, I would strip the soldiers down to modern soldiers using modern tech (more like Call of Duty Modern Warfare, then Crysis Super Soldier) . Call of Duty is my reference for Military Soldier FPS Game Mechanics. So I can easily imagine combining all the elements into single Asynchronous Multiplayer Game experience.

I’m getting a spider-sense tingling feeling that this game may be my destiny.

LMAO! Evolved, right. My bad. I pre-ordered that one thinking it was going to be huge, played it a lot for the first few weeks. Unfortunately, I haven’t played it at all in years, particularly since the servers shut down; none of my friends own it so I have nobody on XBL to play it with. And anyhow, I’m terrible with remembering names. But as to Supes, I’m not a huge Superman-fan, myself. Grew up on Marvel properties like Spider-Man (my personal favorite hero) and X-Men, back when those shows had kick-*ss 90s cartoons and the X-Men comics were hawt and flying off shelves like beads at Mardi Gras. But like I was trying to explain to my buddy, the point isn’t so much the character itself so much as taking something people have been failing to do for years and make it work really well.

I’m reminded of the Spider-Man 2 game based on the similarly-titled Sam Raimi flick. The game originally was going to use the same static web-slinging as every other Spidey game that came before it, but one dude on the team (couldn’t tell you the name if my life depended on it without looking it up) was like, “No, forget that noise, lets improve on the existing designs and make this better than it could be.” So I guess he modeled some web-swinging physics and showed it to the team and it blew everyone away. Now, that game sucked by almost every metric. The random activities were repetitive and boring AF, the story was as weak as it was short, and even the combat was mostly meh. But to this day, the web-swinging has stuck with me and most of my friends as being SO COOL. I never even beat the story, but I spent a frankly unhealthy amount of time just swinging around, completely enthralled by the novelty of BEING Spider-Man. Because before that, web-swinging just felt like a pale imitation, y’know? Cut to… when was it, 2018 when Insomniac’s Spider-Man came out? And that game blew everyone away. Spider-fans in particular, sure, but it wasn’t a crappy retread of the character and systems that the property has been burdened with for ages now, they actually went at it from the vantage of how they could make an amazing game AROUND the character, rather than approaching it from a vantage of just being another licensed product.

The Batman Arkham series is another great example of one studio approaching a licensed character from the perspective of game design rather than cash-cow design. They had some excellent ideas about combat and they turned it into something incredible. Like, before Rocksteady got their hands on it, the Batman property was just as boring and lazy as any other licensed superhero game out there. The point that I’m making is that consumers are stubborn and willful (I know this all too well, being one, myself) but ultimately if you make something mind-bogglingly cool, they will pay attention. And if you can prove that the coolness has substance, too, well… I mean, you’ve basically just written your legend in the stars, my friend. There are a lot of dev studios that phone it in these days, which means that the truly gifted studios just end up standing out all the more. Take CDPR, for example. They aren’t even a ‘Murican studio, they aren’t Japanese or British or any other nationality we associate with AAA-game design. They’re freakin’ Polish! How many triple-A game studios can you name from Poland?? CD Project Red is the only name that comes to mind, and the reason for that is that they’ve tossed out almost all the industry rules, done some incredible stuff, and as a result, their company has earned a reputation for original and crazy-high quality work.

So, sure, the idea of Superman isn’t going to excite anyone who has seen any Superman game every at any time. But that’s why making a GREAT Superman game when there is literally no precedent to speak of would be such a powerful maneuver for any fledgling studio. And, sure, licensing any iconic character is a big-budget proposition, but you know what talks louder than money to a big corporation with loads of money to throw around already? The promise of taking a lemon property and turning it into something incredible. DC/WB already own Superman. But what good is a property that never gets used? They can accept that the high price-tag costs too much for smaller, hungrier studios to foot the bill for or they can take a risk on a phenomenal idea and potentially turn the property around so it matters in this industry again. Just because Superman games have always sucked doesn’t mean they always will, it just means that the tech and the talent had to incubate enough to enable magic to happen. :wink:

Anyway, I kinda rambled there, my bad. I get wordsy when I’m tackling a deep issue and explaining unrecognized potentials that I can see. XD

Customization is something I’ve always enjoyed. I bought a Lifetime subscription on Champions Online in spite of the ■■■■ gameplay specifically because of the deep customization elements. I never play it for long, but I always log in every one or two months, sometimes longer, to buy new costume pieces with the free monthly Zen-currency they send Lifers. (Speaking of CoH.) Oh, and I’ve got some MMO-related stuff I was going to add to the original post later, when I feel compelled to do so. Some of it’s superhero-stuff, other parts are more fantasy-related or just general design ideas disconnected from any larger theme.

It’s incredible to me how they got away with Brightburn. I mean, literally everything about that flick was ripped straight from the Superman lore that’s been established for literally decades… The only differences are the names! The only thing I can think of that might protect the studio who made that from legal action is that they could claim it was an artistic critique of the Superman tropes. Certain forms of copying are expressly protected, for example, YouTubers who use movie footage when they review the displayed works can’t be sued because they’re only displaying the content so they can discuss it publically. Things like that. But still, the stones it takes to make a clone that close to the intended model… Wow.

I never played EDF, but I think I got it for free as an XBL Gold freebie. I wasn’t too interested even when it first came out, mostly because it did seem a bit too silly without being ROFLcopter-level outrageous. But if someone did a more (or even less) serious clone of the underlying game, I might be tempted to take a look. I remember reading that it had a very arcadey style of gameplay. A better rendition could be fun with some four-player co-op.

That ARG-idea has a lot of potential! Remember Cloverfield? Could do something like that, where you have to shoot smaller monsters with your phone while you avoid getting trampled by the big ones, something like that could be really engaging. I hadn’t heard about Chaos. I’m not much into the coding-end of the process, but that sounds technically bad*ss. I’ll have to Google some articles on it in the morning.

LMAO! Man, my Spidey-senses are always tingling. Sometimes it gets hard to single out specific ideas enough to focus and make any of them viable. The curse of being an ENTP, the flip-side of the coin from being fonts of inspiration. XD

[USER=“1774305”]Aquarian Rising[/USER] ,

So if you we’re start developing this game concept what skill sets would you contribute?

Not many. LOL! No, I write creatively and I’m fairly good with coming up with original progression systems that aren’t too complicated. You’ve already seen the sort of gameplay concepts I can dream up. Like I mentioned earlier, I’ve never been on good terms with working schedules, but if it came down to it, I can get a job done so long as there’s a sense of progress and a light at the end of the tunnel. Well, and so long as I don’t have to be awake during any one specific period on any given day. LMAO! I mostly jest, but I do have a pretty haphazard sleep schedule. But, yeah, my main talents are gameplay design and creative writing. Non-technical stuff, really. Mom used to call herself a “wordsmith”; I guess you could call me an “idea-artist”. XD I’ve got some old snippets from some unfinished novels if you’d like to take a look. And I’ve got some other simple game concepts we can discuss which could have relatively wide appeal if you’re interested.

Every Game Dev in this community is an Idea-artist LOL. In fact I started The Official Idea Guy Post here back in 2014. I also know from experience in this forum, ideas dont attract game developers or publishers. We seek partners with content creation and programming skills because there a lot of work that needs to done in those areas when developing games.

I personally would be interested in someone with experience in creating Interactive Fiction (IF); Choose Your own Adventure (CYOA); RPG Game Master Campaign Building/Hosting. These styles of storytelling are better suited for branching and short linear dialogue sequences (ie quest givers) in games. Translating creative writings into ‘Screenplays’ is another valuable skill, as games dialogue and cut-scenes are directed in the same fashion films are. A Writer would also be responsible for getting the words into the game, which may require reformatting the text to input into the game, learning special tools.

Considering this Superman Concept has been floating around in your brain for years, how much do you have written out? Do you have enough Lore written out to start building a pre-visualization storyboard in engine? We can use placeholder assets.

I can spin a tale like the Devil himself. Multiple-choice dialogue is just spinning multiple parallel stories. Not that different, really, although I have no formal training in it. (No formal training in anything, in fact. Entirely self-taught or dependant on raw talents.) And while it’s true that the world holds a lot of people who think their ideas are great, there aren’t many of them whose ideas are worth exploring, fewer still who can play with ideas the way I can. But as far as the Super-Man game concept, it was literally just a concept. A pipe-dream, really, since I had no real intention of ever pursuing a license to create a Super-Man game. But it shouldn’t take me long to throw together some preliminary ideas if you’d like. I already had a thread to run with when I talked about Lex’s private army butting heads with an invading force. There’s a lot of potentials in that. Maybe something to do with Darkseid. I’ll look at some comic book wikis and toss it all in the mental alembic, see what I distill from it.

I’m very interested in what you can do. But, I’m from the school of ‘Put Up OR Shut Up’. Its difficult to locate solid writers. I discovered this the hardway with ExORION.

I’m an idea guy, i dabble in all areas of creativity. I attempted to write a CYOA game in the past. It was a very interesting to process to attempt to splinter the story into different outcomes based on ‘choice’. A lot of bouncing around back in forth. I found myself, doing a lot of ‘what if’ and getting exhausted with certain characters. I worked with a ‘choicescript’ language. Learned a great deal from the experience. Planning a in-game multi-user (collaborative) hierarchical dialogue system for GODofDREAMS unified chat system. I’m employing the latest TTSTT tech into this dialogue system.

https://kotaku.com/new-free-steam-de…ame-1837178287

Well, sh*t… I suppose it was only a matter of time. What’s weird, though, is I guess it’s a Japanese studio that threw this demo together…? Granted, I’ve talked about it on a number of occasions to a number of people, so it was inevitable that someone run with the idea eventually. Not like I was ever going to. Still, credit for the concept would be nice, though it’s hardly expected, particularly since there’s no way to conclusively prove the idea was explicitly mine. The timing does seem a bit odd, though, and it is only a demo. The recognition for my ideas would certainly go a long way to enhancing my motivation and involvement in future projects, I suspect.

Pardon the latency of response. I’ve had some family matters come up (My grandma having a mild stroke among them) and things just kinda floated away for a bit. Taking a look at your posted links now.

Choicescript seems very interesting indeed… I’m going to have to set some time aside and investigate it more thoroughly. Does it have a GUI or is it all command-prompts? I couldn’t tell, just scanning the description.

Hi there [USER=“1774305”]Aquarian Rising[/USER], Welcome. Wish a speedy recovery for your grandma as I’ve had to deal with stroke in my family as well.

I’ve viewed the superman demo videos. Sorry my friend, but there is 0 possibility for you take credit or expect any recognition. I didn’t see anything ‘special’ like what you described. Its a great demo of a standard super hero beatem up in a opened map. One could swap that character out with a Mech, Neo from the Matrix, Shazam, Harry Potter.

Choicescript is a text-based scripting language that works with ChoiceOfGame CYOA html framework. However, you could create branching story with Google Slides if you wanted.

Well, I’m not interested in any credit I’m not actually due; my point wasn’t that I wanted credit for their work. But the underlying idea of a game where you are invulnerable to damage and the game must implement other systems of challenge beyond the typical health-based, you-can-die type systems? The comparison to what I had discussed earlier is self-evident and it’s not every day that someone figures out how to turn an OP hero like Supes into a video game. Demos can be thrown together rather swiftly with premade assets, as well, so it’s not a stretch to conclude that there could be a measure of suspicious parallels, there. The only real way anything could remotely begin to be proven is by looking up the demo’s publishing date on Steam and comparing it to the myriad instances of me publicly discussing the concept, but truth be told I really don’t care enough to invest myself that deeply into digging up my past social media posts and going through them just to take credit for an idea that I would personally regard as being the single most-obvious route a Superman-style game should take… which is why it’s so perplexing to me that it had never been done before. Anyhow, ideas like that are a dime a dozen for me, it was just one I had a fondness for. (And frankly, I think their execution was a little sloppy from what I saw of the demo, though it is merely a demo. If they really did get the idea from me somewhere along the way, which I don’t deny they may not have, they’d be smart to invite me to assist with designing some more elegant gameplay mechanics and user interfacing.)

Also, the only way Harry Potter is “invulnerable” is with his heavy suit of plot armor. LOL!