Does unreal pay developers for the content in the Permanently free section?

I’ve tried looking it up and swore I saw documentation on the Permanently free section before and it had stated something along the lines of unreal engine has partnered with developers to bring the community helpful plugins, environments, and tools that will always be free for all to use in the permanently free section of unreal marketplace. I believe it said that it pays a kind of yearly retainer type price or maybe a deal for a one time price for the content once it goes in the permanently free section?

the reason I’m asking is I’m curious if the developers that have a popular “perm free” item on marketplace could just stop maintaining the perm free and make a paid version to get another payment. I feel as if it’s actually been done a few times and see some of the more popular items switching to Free and paid versions that had been free for years and in the perm free section using the excuse that maintaining the item with no pay ever on the item is becoming harder and harder etc.

any help is appreciated! thanks!

P.S. this is not for me lol, I’m not like testing waters or some ■■■■, I don’t have any content anywhere, new to unreal, just wondering!