Does Unreal Engine 4 support an Intel HD Graphics 3000 card?

It can, but performance will not be very good. People have found UE4 to run slower on Mac, and they don’t typically have all that much graphical power in the first place.

Not quite correct. The Intel HD 3000 is unsupported on Mac OS X for two reasons:

1. As it is an OpenGL 3.3 GPU it doesn’t support volume texture rendering on Mac OS X due to a deficiency of the Mac drivers/OpenGL & we don’t presently handle this case correctly.
  2. There is a serious performance problem in the Mac drivers for the HD 3000 when running UE4 which we have yet to resolve.

Even were these two problems to be fixed performance would be low as the card isn’t very powerful and would struggle to run the big samples (e.g. ElementalDemo). Smaller games might run acceptably though.

Not sure about Windows, that’s not my area.

When comparing to D3D 11 Shader Model 5, which is a little unfair as Mac OS X’s OpenGL 4.1 is only equivalent to D3D 10 Shader Model 4. When comparing Mac OS X OpenGL to Windows OpenGL or D3D10/SM4 the performance is very, very close in most circumstances.

Depends on the Mac - the laptops aren’t very powerful since they use standard mobility GPUs which is a problem for most Windows laptops too. The BTO iMacs should be pretty decent & the 2013 Mac Pros are genuinely fast.

Are there any plans to fix these two issues? You use the word “yet” but I’m thinking this is more wishful thinking than any actual plans to fix the issues. UE4 also runs slowing on HD 3000 for PC.

Are there any people in the open source community who might have a go at fixing these?

Unreal Engine 4 requires a modern dedicated GPU to run well. Intel HD graphics are really poor.

Yes. But marksatt-pitbull used the word “yet” implying that these issues might be fixed on day. And that the problem is a driver issue which could be worked around. I wondered if anyone in the open source community knew enough to be able to make a work around for these issues. It might turn out to have knock on improvements for other graphics cards too.

I would have thought that it is the kind of challenge developers like to make things run on lower end machines. I would try to do it but I don’t know enough about what precisely is the problem.

Kind of stupid to need a high end graphics card to create flappy ducks.

You would struggle to make anything with that type of GPU, it’s not just the requirements of UE4.
I wouldn’t expect a fix any time soon, if it’s a more complicated issue then it might not be worth the development time since it only affects a small number of users and that hardware isn’t even close to the minimum recommended requirements anyway.

Ah OK. So basically you’re saying marksatt-pitbull was being misleading when he (/she) said that these issues are “yet” to be resolved. As they will never in fact be resolved. They should be more careful what they say as this gives false hope to people.

As a side note I can tell you that Unity works perfectly well on that GPU and lower GPUs. No struggle at all. And they’ve just made it free. So Unreal needs to up its game a bit. And perhaps consider spending some time making Unreal work on a larger range of graphics cards.

Why would anyone make flappy ducks using the Unreal engine?

No, that’s not misleading, the issues aren’t resolved and they haven’t made any commitment that they will be.
I can tell you that Unity does not run all that well on lower-end GPU’s, I’ve made apps with it for the slightly faster Intel HD 4000 and had to greatly reduce the graphical features to get things to run at a good enough speed.
Those GPU’s just aren’t designed for that purpose, they’re for people who need portability and good battery life and don’t care much about graphics performance, which is most people.

If it’s not misleading then how is it that I was misled?

Just for my two cents… and I am 98% certain it not worth even 2 cents. I have a Dual Core AMD that I have had for 6-7 years… I believe in running a machine until I can’t use it any longer. I put a AMD R9-270 with 8 gigs of ram in it when my old video card died. With the intention of buying a new MB and CPU later. (Have not got those yet.) I got the MMOK it ( https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?53208-MMO-Starter-Kit and decided to go thru the set up and run the “UE4 Server” on my old clunker AMD. I on a whim decided to install Windows 10 Server on the old AMD… and it together very very nicely, and was fast. Oh, the machine has 4 gigs of ram.

After compiling the MMO kit server I moved it over to the AMD server and tried to run it. I could not… It wanted sound card drivers. (FROWNY FACE!) I had PHP 5.6 installed… IIS up and running… PHP running and the darn UE server… running as a server… no graphics… wanted a darn sound card driver. Looking around… there is not one for Windows 10 that will run the sound card.

Brain storm hits me about now:

Wipe out Windows 10 Server and install my copy of Window 2008 (Not Windows 2008 r2) and recreate the whole mess.

10 hours later… updates are done… IIS is up and running… PHP 5.6 works… website works… copied the MMO kit server over… and BLAMMO! ERROR… “The procedure entry point k32getprocessimagefilenamew could not be located” searching, I found this: https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/176576/how-do-i-fix-a-entry-point-not-found-error-for-the.html
and it says my version of windows is to old.

<insert a countless number of frustrated words>

Two days to calm down and now back in forums HOPING against Hope that I’ll get a another answer. What I think I am going to be told is I have to have Windows 2008 R2 or Windows 2012 Server to run a unreal server with out graphics.

Do I really have to spend 1,000 dollars on hardware and 700 dollars on Software to run a unreal server?

Why do we have to have SUCH high requirements for a server? I can see graphics requirements… but to run a server?

If you read his post, there’s nothing there saying that they were working on fixing it, if you thought otherwise then you didn’t read clearly enough.

You can submit to Answerhub and maybe they’ll put a tracking ticket to the issue, but that still doesn’t mean it’s something that they will spend the time to try and find a fix. Ultimately every issue comes down to whether it is important enough and if they have a developer available to work on it.

Oh well. I’ll stick with Unity then. Since it works on anything.

I’d just like to know why it takes Server 2012 to run a gui’less server// if these numbers are to be believed, it seems UE is missing a lot of people.

That has nothing to do with the topic of this thread, if you want to talk about server stuff, please open a new thread.

Sorry Darth. I do not agree… The topic is how UR does not support the Intel 3000HD card… and some other hardware was also mentioned… I simply asked why UR does not run in a gui-less config on a older version of windows… IE… UR not running on something. It was could also be said it does not run under Vista Desktop… as the error I quote was from a Unreal dev saying the OS was to old. Again, in the vain of this thread of UE takes more Hardware chops to run than I understand and I am asking why

EDIT: When I read this thread the first time… I too was under the impression UR was looking into the 3000hd fix… I believe he was misled because of the wording… not due to the Dev trying to be mendacious.

Your posts aren’t about the HD 3000 issue at all, all you’re talking about is server issues, that has nothing to do with the thread topic, consider this a warning.

This is just completely misleading. Unity may “run poorly” if, and only if the project demands make it so. Unreal “runs poorly” as a matter of design unless you have a higher end card, even if the game you are developing isn’t much more than flappy ducks.

I was able to make a 2D-runner on my Macbook Air (Intel HD4000) without any performance problems at all with Unity. Several small (and definitely un-fancy) 3D project-tutorials also ran without any indication that I was stressing the machine.

The same Macbook Air can’t even load an empty UE4 project without dropping to under 1FPS and kicking on its fans immediately. A Macbook Air with an HD3000 can’t even run a packaged project (probably due to the bug that clearly isn’t a priority) that consists of nothing more than 2 static lights, 3 cameras, and 6 objects with less than 500 tris each. I don’t know about you, but I had machines in the 90’s - without any kind of GPU whatsoever, only a single core processor measured in Mhz, and memory measured in single-digit megabytes - that were capable of rendering 3,000 polygons (and one of the first shaders) without a problem. The demands of UE4 are far-and-away much more massive than the demands of the Unity Engine.

Because it was misleading. darthviper107 is just one of those people who has to be right (especially after an expert they can’t argue against tells them how they are misleading) and makes the all-to-easy confusion between personal perception and objective reality. By not accepting other people’s experience, these guys’ (and they’re almost always guys’) experience is entirely misleading, and usually puts them into isolation with people who tolerate this behavior, if not agree with the mindset. But since he was just told he was misleading by someone with certified expertise, his only recourse - other than backing off - was to find someone who he can preach at - and you happened to be the most readily available target. Try not to take the actions of a broken person (and indeed, we are all broken in different ways) personally, it’s not about you, it’s about his inability to heal his damage.

However, mattsatt also make clear that if* the drivers were fixed, the HD3000 is still going to be an abyssmal performer. It’s safe to say the HD3000 will never be supported. Even if the driver is fixed, your machine won’t be strong enough to run the engine well.

I can assure you that an HD4000 is also poor, and not really usable (at least on OS X). It’s not until the HD5000 that performance starts to become smooth enough to get work done. However, the machine I’m currently using that has a HD5000 is a mac mini, duo core i5 (which is 2 cores short of spec), but has 16GB of RAM. It’s still pushing its limits. Builds and compiles take about 12x longer on this machine than my PC that is above the min-specs (quad-core i7, DX11 Radeon 270, still 16GB ram).

If you need to develop on a low powered machine, even for 2D projects, Unreal is not a good choice. At least not now. With their expanded user-base, and attempts to reach mobile, I would expect that to change, but slowly (case in point; this issue has been bubbling for 2 years now and has no indications of being improved in the near future).

*which is indeed a conditional that implies the condition is a possibility, in addition the indicators you called out and darkpoison dismissed to try and feel better.

Not sure what your issue is with me, that’s not how the thread unfolded. The dev made a clarifying comment about what the issue is with the HD3000 and people read into it something that wasn’t there and assumed that they said that they were working on a fix, which they never said. If they felt misled it’s because they were eager for a fix to the issue which wasn’t going to happen. The dev never said they were going to fix the issue.

As far as UE4 performance is concerned, I think one of the biggest issues with the engine is getting the graphics configured for low-end systems. It starts out with a lot of features turned up, and many of the settings that affect performance are in different places which can be difficult to discover and others are in config files that aren’t exposed to the editor. Unity starts with very little, which means you pretty much start at the bottom and build up and makes it much easier to control the graphics performance. It’s very difficult for developers outside of AAA studios to be able to get as much performance in their games.

i´m using the old Intel HD Graphics (lower than 4000)… with some lag… nothing to worry…
incredible…isn´t ?