Does Online subsystem require dedicated Server?

my game runs under listen server.

one can create a seesion with advanced session.

and others can join the server with browser.

it works fine in local but doesn’t for external connection.

i heard i need online subsystem like steam and i followed the steps like adjusting variables in build.cs and imported steam sessions something like that.

but it still doesn’t work.

in the log it says it fails to intialize steam api.

but i don’t know if it’s because I was wrong or it’s just limit of listen server

Hi, there’s. Online subsystem has 2 type: P2P and Dedicated Server.
Make you sure turn on Plugin on your project.

2: check in "DefaultEngine.ini "

[OnlineSubsystem]DefaultPlatformService=Steam

and:

[OnlineSubsystemSteam] enabled=true

SteamDevAppId=480
(480 is an example)

read again:

Configuring your Application’s Settings

Hope it help you

So it’s not the limit of listen server but it could be my mistakes right? if so, i need to follow the doc again

It does not. You can use steam online subsystem, for example without dedicated server.
Issue with that is, cheating will be easier, and everyone’s experience will depend on the servers performance.
You will have to smooth up the interpolation and many other things for every player (althought this is probably needed for dedicated server too)

There’s something broken with the Steam Subsystem in 4.27. I’ve seen multiple mentions about it online.

I can’t create a Steam session in 4.27, even though the same code works fine in 4.26. You can try creating a new project in 4.26 and making a simple Steam session setup and see if it will work.

If someone has any additional information about Steam sessions in 4.27, I’d much appreciate it. I would like to transition my project to 4.27, but can’t do that at the moment.

Oh Thanks, that was something i didn’t know i will try with 4.26