Does having root motion enabled on enemies stop RVO avoidance from working?

I have been trying to figure out why RVO avoidance just doesn’t work with my enemies and the only thing I can think of is that it might be because their animations use root motion. And if that’s the case, how else should I set up avoidance for them? There are 4-6 enemies within an encounter and they just crowd around each other and the player. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Root motion does update CharacterMoveComp’s velocity. I would think RVO works on velocity so it should work in theory.

Is there a Movement Mode set correctly? Like maybe Walking, Not Flying, as here… RVO avoidance not applying - Programming & Scripting - Unreal Engine Forums

Using a Crowd AI controller could be an alternative - be sure to handle options for this in Project Settings > Engine > Crowd Manager, like for Max Agents. One side note on the Crowd AI - “Detach From Controller Pending Destroy” was a useful node to force a (dead) AI out of the crowd control system ASAP.

You can play with mixing Crowd and RVO, if that starts working again.

Edit - last thought - might check Movement Component > Collision > Can Ever Affect Navigation. Don’t think this would mess up RVO, but maybe worth a quick look.