Does Content effect Video Memory?

Hey guys, a quick question for anyone who might know…I’m busy setting up a template for our office and I’m running into Video Memory issues.

I have a 12Gb 3080, and the template scene is in no ways populated with enough static meshes and materials for my Video Memory to fill up…but I have quite a lot of content in my Content Browser, like furniture/landscaping/humans

It is not added into the scene though. Will this effect my Video Memory and Texture Poolsize?

1 Like

No, it won’t. But, the longer you spend trying out meshes and textures, the more VRAM and streaming pool you will use up.

You can increase the stream pool with the console command

r. streaming.poolsize 5000 ( for 5 GB )

But to reset the VRAM, you need to restart the editor.

Thanks for the reply. I have already increased my Texture Poolsize to 10Gb…and when I started the template up now from a fresh start, I see my VRAM usage is already at 10Gb

Maybe if I reduce my Poolsize a bit it will limit the VRAM usage?

It’s not that it affects my performance much, but on another file I was working which was packed with high quality content, I did experience FPS dips from 60 down to like 8

There’s no point in putting the poolsize above your VRAM.

Reducing it won’t have any effect, except to give you the error and fuzzy textures :slight_smile:

It just sounds like you’re really hammering the engine. Optimization is a whole discipline in itself.

The main thing you can do is reduce the number of textures you’re using, second is using 2K instead of 4K.

If you’ve got hundreds of models in the level, and they all use different textures, that will be your problem.

1 Like

my available VRAM is 12Gb, so it’s at least not above it, but noted about textures not loading if the poolsize is too low

Okay so optimizing is the next step to look at, i’ll have to back track through all the Project settings.

The 4k textures to 2k could help as well. Thanks for the help, i’ll post back here when I see a drop in usage

With my other projects I could understand it because I have massive 3D models imported from Archicad, with Sketchup Geolocations imported as well. Thick foilage grass, trees, quixel textures, props and everything…but with this template there’s not much.

I have a basic landscape paltform, 2 small models (one from sketchup and one from Archicad), some trees, some materials, no grass

Try this

it will give you a list of the textures being used. Switch to ‘texture stats’.

1 Like

Thank you, that helped a lot to see what is happening.
I can see the megascan trees are consuming the most memory…but to limit their textures to 2048 sounds like a tedious job

And the HDRI is at the top of the list.

I’m starting to wonder if I should not maybe create a new blank file at the end of creating this template, migrate the content I want over to the new file, and just adjust the few settings I need again

Because I started this file in 5.1, tested many many things, opened it in 5.2 and carried on

If the whole level is 2G, that’s pretty good. Like I say, the longer you audition new meshes and textures, the higher the VRAM usage will go, until you restart. So a lot depends on that.

Also, you can right click on the map file and take a look at size

That will also tell you a lot about what’s going on.

1 Like

That is very useful, thank you.
From what I can see the contents in the scene are not filling up the VRAM on this specific situation. I will create a new file and monitor the VRAM as I migrate assets into the project.

I added all the twinmotion content which I copied from a 5.0 file, so not sure if that could be an underlying issue

1 Like

So just a update on this, I created a new project and went through all my settings again. I noticed I forgot about Virtual Textures in the previous template

I started loading in content from my Epic Games Library while keeping an eye on my VRAM. At first it didn’t move much, but when I selected all the geometries to convert it to nanite, the VRAM started loading up as Unreal is loading all the textures, which is normal in my mind, because it needs to load and store everything.

Then converting the textures to Virtual Textures, and selecting 2k, I saw the VRAM settling down again

I am also adding content through the Library instead of just copy and paste from other projects

So far things are looking alright, I’ll make sure to reduce the Megascan material quality to Medium as I saw high = 4K

Thanks for the trouble shooting help @ClockworkOcean

1 Like

Sounds good :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.