Does anyone know how to use the Possess Node in Lyra?

I’ve added the following blueprint to the B_Hero_ShooterMannequin in Lyra\Plugins\GameFeatures\ShooterCore\Content\Game.

This works on in single player but in multiplayer it falls with Warning: Accessed None trying to read property CallFunc_GetLocalPlayerSubSystemFromPlayerController_ReturnValue. I’m trying to switch from the default Lyra character to a vehicle based Pawn.

I’ve also made the changes based on this thread Not supposed to derive from ALyraPawn? - #3 by bjgil2

I also check the ContentExamples sample project Blueprint_Input_Examples but that also does not work in multiplayer.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Hey there @dromo! So it;s possible your issue is that Get Player Controller is a local side only node, so if ever used in multiplayer it fails. From what I’ve heard people tend to use Get Player State and then use that to direct, but it’s not viable in all situations, it can’t point you to a player controller, and it functions a bit like one, but it can point you to it’s pawn. I’m by no means a replication expert, so I’ll drop the documentation here for you and I hope it comes in handy.

Here’s a thread that needs to get stuff to a player controller, but references how you can’t by normal means. Finding a way to get player controller reference from game state

The documentation, however the C++ docs have lots more functions than the blueprint docs show. I hope some of this helps!
Blueprints: Player State | Unreal Engine Documentation

C++ APlayerState | Unreal Engine Documentation

Also note that if you derive from ALyraPawn (even from the “fixed” one that I outlined in the link you mentioned), your movement component WILL NOT BE LOCAL PREDICTED. That’s a fundamental problem with Pawns as Epic releases them.

Epic did a HUGE amount of work making the ACharacter (and thus ALyraCharacter) movement component network predicted. They’ve done exactly ZERO similar work on the Pawn. The problem with ACharacter is it requires a capsule. The problem with APawn is it does not nave network movement prediction. Choose your poison. (Or, use the upgraded ALyraPawn pawn with a custom network predicted movement component).

As for the “how do I get into a vehicle and possess the vehicle as a pawn”, check this out, maybe it will help:

Thanks, got a step further now. Looks like a know issue Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-144539)

Closing connection. Can’t send function ‘ServerUpdateState’ on ‘ChaosWheeledVehicleMovementComponent SportsCar_Pawn_C_0.VehicleMovementComp’: Reliable buffer overflow. FieldCache->FieldNetIndex: 4 Max 5. Ch MaxPacket: 1024.