Documentation is heavily lacking

After prototyping for some time I went back to creating c++ code. I created a USTRUCT() and was unable to see it in the editor. I checked the wiki and played around with values because I just couldn’t figure what I did different (USTRUCT() wiki page).

It took some time for me to go somewhere else for an answer. Turns out it was simple… AGAIN. The result shown on the wiki page simply cannot be achieved with the information provided. It does not mention “BlueprintType” anywhere.

I could be using the documentation instead. However, the documentation is missing even bigger parts. It does mention specifiers but fails to mention how to add properties. And is really really short in general.

The state of the documentation really increases development time and discourages heavily.

Hello ,

Please be aware that the wiki pages are community driven and are not part of the official documentation. As for the documentation itself that you linked for USTRUCT, we are always working on expanding on the currently available documentation and aim to make improvements across the board. This is a long and arduous process however as there are many topics to span in our documentation. I’ll be sure to take a look at updating this in the future to provide more information but I cannot predict as to when more information will be added.

Have a nice day.

I just wanted to let you know that your documentation is lacking essential parts. Structs being a good example because the information provided are not enough to create even the most basic (usable) struct.

The engine is really really great. A slightly better documentation that at least includes all the keywords and syntax you need would be a huge help (I’m not even asking for examples). I’d rather write a few classes using things that I understand (documented features) than have them ready and search hours for the functionality that is not properly described.

Anyways, keep up the good work!

p.s.: I listed this as bug because essentially a bug is a feature that does not work as intended. The documentation should allow working with the engine but it doesn’t fully do that.

Not to sound rude, but do you even work at the documentation anymore? I had/have another problem and searching the keywords mentioned leads me to this example of someone else mentioning problems with the documentation.

• Part of the answer: “I will notify our Documentation team, thanks!”
  • Posted: Apr 27 '14 at 5:32 AM
  • Fixed: nope

I did not intentionally search for this. I am currently having a problem with a class not being seen by the system and the documentation does not help at all.

Hi ,

Thank you for bringing that to my attention. I was not with the company at the time that this issue was reported but I believe we did not have a tracking system in place for the documentation at the time that this post was made. I’ve reported it myself under the number UEDOC-2484 and will be forwarding it to our tech writers to be fixed.

Whenever an issue such as this occurs and it doesn’t seem like any progress has been made for a prolonged amount of time, please feel free to let us know about it and we’ll be happy to look into where it is in the process for you. For your reference, the number for the issue about the Structs page is UEDOC-2485.