Do you think this is too close to stealing?

So, there is this fun little addition that Camelot made to the Shining series. When the game starts up, at about the point where you are selecting a save slot, they present the story of the game as being told or read to you. You see a character (usually with a book) and when you select your save slot they “read to you” the game that you play.

I have always thought this was a really fun addition to these games; it makes the fantasy setting seem all the more, well, fantasy.

I keep thinking that I would love to add this same element into my games.

I’m confident this is legally permissible, but I’m really trying to gauge if this is something the general public would frown upon; would this reflect poorly upon me and my work? Would people see this as stealing and ripping off, or would people see it as homage and pastiche?
After all, I don’t think I’ve ever seen another game do tis before. It’s taking a very specific thing distinctly known from one series.

It is worth noting that I am not thinking of doing this just for one title; I’d like to build several games within the world that I am creating, and if I use this element, I’d like to use it for all of them.

Example screenshots:
Shining Force
Shining Force CD
Shining Soul II

It’s kind of an grey area in the sense that nobody has a monopoly on a concept, but you can’t just outright copy the entire thing.

Really? Ask Epic if you can or cannot copy ■■■■ without permission! :grin:

For OP,
if you do it as an homage, no one can say anything about it anyway.

Think of it this way, how many TNG (the next generation) references are in other TV shows across the entirety of TV shows?
Does the general public frown on those references?

Well if it’s not patented, as the famous ‘loading screen minigames’ The Loading Screen Game Patent Finally Expires | Electronic Frontier Foundation

Not a legal advice:

So, unless your morlae is prohibiting you, use the concept, add your own flavor, and move on with your project.
I mean, look how many cloned games are there :slight_smile:

Yeah, there are many cloned games out there, but how many of them are well-received, and how many of them are seen as cheap knock-off crap?

Fortnite isn’t even a cheap knockoff at this points its just plain sh*t.
It’s still making epic money, despite their stock being barely worth .08c …

Hardly much of anything, nowadays. Which is mainly why I stick to the big names.

I don’t think that’s stealing, mix it up a bit, it’s just an interesting mechanic of a game.
If things like that were classed as stealing 90% of games out there would have stolen something from another.

“Steal like an artist” they say…