Do you really have to type all this again and again?

Hi guys,

Just decided that I might as well jump into the C++ boat for UE4 dev.

However, can it really be the case that there are no auto-completion for all the U-stuff (UPROPERTY, UFUNCTION and all their parameters) in Visual Studio? (I use VS2013 Ultimate on windows 8).

I cannot imagine anyone who’s willing to type all this over and over and over again… I must be missing something.

Please help.

Small bump

VS Snippets for Unreal

Also, dont forget UE docs.

Thanks buddy,

The snippets seems to be a step in the right direction. Although, still no autocomplete for all the parameters.

I have set up VS according to the docs, but that doesn’t seem affect what I’m asking.

In 4.7p7-ish Engine source was auto added for C++/Intellisense to your projects. If thats what youre asking. Before source had to be downloaded from Github, and manually added.

Affraid I got lost on that one :slight_smile: (I’m quite new to unreal as you might have guess already).

Are you saying that if I use engine 4.7 (I know still in preview) that there’s intellisense for UE-macros? To give an example:

UPROPERTY(EditAnywhere, BlueprintReadWrite, Catergory = SomeCategory)

The above macro and similar is what I think become pretty redundant to write again and again without intellisence.

edit: Sorry, today was a rush. I haven’t seen that Intellisense handles C++ macros to that degree. But VS IDE is new to me too.

Is there a solution for this? I just started with UE4 c++ and I am wondering the same thing. I am using 4.11 and VS 2015.

From the docs, you can just add:

using namespace UP;

This works for me using Visual Assist. Probably add that within the class declaration so it’s scope is limited and anyone who includes your header isn’t forced to use it as well.

As the docs say, this just exposes enum values from ObjectBase.h for the autocompletion.

1 Like

This post is pretty old, but hopefully if you are still having this problem my solution below works for you, cheers!

Your solution worked, thank you