Do I need to colorize before I simplify? Also: new stuff

If I figured out whatever the heck is going on with my computer and get past my recon stage, I am wondering about a basic question:

If I am to break up the model into different parts (via recon boxes and filtering) and then simplify each part, does it matter if I colorize first?

Also, I know that there is an experimental simplify and unwrap that we can use at our own peril - just wondering if it’s ‘use at your own peril as it may crash RC’ or ‘use at your own peril as it may jeopardize your entire workflow’. I’m assuming the latter, but will try it in a heartbeat on the former.

Hi Castlenock

If I am to break up the model into different parts (via recon boxes and filtering) and then simplify each part, does it matter if I colorize first?

You do not need to colorize it before texturing. there are some use cases where only coloring is sufficient.

Also, I know that there is an experimental simplify and unwrap that we can use at our own peril - just wondering if it’s ‘use at your own peril as it may crash RC’ or ‘use at your own peril as it may jeopardize your entire workflow’. I’m assuming the latter, but will try it in a heartbeat on the former.

it is much more about not getting the expected result, your RCPROJ file will stay intact…

Wishgranter,

Thanks! I colorized anyway (finished at 2 a.m., I figured ‘why-not press the colorize button before going back to bed’). Does make it easier to see exactly what I’m going to cut up into different segments.

I’ll lay off the simplify for the moment but will try the new unwrap at some point soon (after I run a few things to try and recover from some general data loss).