Do I need an EULA for my unregistered demo?

Hi all,

After a lot of reading this forum and UE’s EULA, I’m close to publish an Unreal Engine demo, to simply show/demonstrate some UE capabilities to end users (‘gamers’). (Is this considered a game, or maybe not?).

As it will be a packaged project, but it won’t be registered by me, in any sense; simply made with Unreal Editor, packaged for Windows, and distributed through forums, itch.io, or similar, for free:

• Do I need anything more before release, or can I directly upload my game and distribute it as mentioned?
  • Do I need to add an EULA, into a text file (for example), accompanying the game? Mandatorily?
  • Do I need to fill the Release Form included in Release and Royalty Tracking Guidelines - Unreal Engine? Mandatorily?
  • Can I include my EULA in my desired language, or must it be in english?

And what about those same questions but when releasing a legally registered game?

I was already working in love with Unreal, but after reading a lot of legal threads this time, I’m a little scared about all the legality involved, apologizes for asking this -maybe- dumb questions, but they are totally unfamiliar to me.

Thank you very much and best regards,

Miguel

Please see answers below.

Do I need anything more before release, or can I directly upload my game and distribute it as mentioned?

Check out the product checklist at unrealengine.com/release !

Do I need to add an EULA, into a text file (for example), accompanying the game? Mandatorily?

The UE EULA requires that you license you distribute your game subject to “an end user license agreement which explicitly disclaims any representations, warranties, conditions, and liabilities related to the Licensed Technology.”

unrealengine.com/release has a sample document to help with this.

Do I need to fill the Release Form included in Release and Royalty Tracking Guidelines - Unreal Engine? Mandatorily?

This is only required when you begin generating revenue.

Can I include my EULA in my desired language, or must it be in english?

Epic does not require that your EULA be in any specific language.

Thanks @SonsOfKorhal,

Please, I think you replied in the case of a registered trademark game, right?. But what about an unregistered one? Simply made something with Unreal, and packaged/compiled it; wihout any legal formalities, nor registrations, nor patents, etc.

I was thinking replies would be somthing like these:

Do I need anything more before release, or can I directly upload my
game and distribute it as mentioned?

No, you can just publish it.

Do I need to add an EULA, into a text file (for example), accompanying
the game? Mandatorily?

No, as your game has no ‘official’ or
‘legal’ name, as it has not been
unregistered.

That would be right?

Thank you again!