DLC as Chunks vs Project Launcher vs Project Launcher and Chunks

I am learning about the DLC production pipeline and some parts of the process are confusing. I’ve seen two different ways to create DLC (i) creating primary asset labels and chunking, such that separate pak files can be treated as DLC and (ii) using the project launcher with separate launch profiles for the base game and dlc, which will produce separate pak files that can also be treated as DLC.

Why does the project launcher have a section devoted to letting you select maps, but there’s nothing that I’m aware except possibly chunking that lets you customize what non-map assets are part of the dlc? Is this why people say you need to create a plugin to generate dlc with the project launcher?

How does chunking work with the project launcher to create dlc? If you’re using chunking, is it not necessary to create a separate launch profile for the base game and dlc?

Some people have stated that you need to create a plugin to generate DLC with the project launcher, which does not appear to be true. I discovered that I was able to use a map in the Content folder in the DLC launcher profile and it would generate content under /Plugin/DLCNAME where DLCNAME is the value of “Name of the DLC to build” in the project launcher.