Distance Field Indirect Shadows prototype

It’s been in several release now. I’ve actually just finished documentation for this and some of the other Mesh Distance Field features that should be up the next time we publish documentation.

This feature can also be enabled per-mesh rather than project-wide. Simply open any Static Mesh and under the General Settings > enable Generate Mesh Distance Field. Then for the mesh in the level, enable Distance Field Indirect Shadow for it to work in indirectly lit areas using built lighting.

Music to my ears ! We’ve been using the DF pipeline on multiple projects now, and even if the results aren’t 100% perfect yet, the performance/visuals ratio compared to Cascaded shadowing is pretty good !

I’ve been wondering, is there any way to increase the DF resolution of all meshes at once, for instance with the bulk edit, rather that doing it mesh per mesh ?

Not through the Editor UI for bulk editing. IIRC, none of the Build Settings are available through the property matrix window. I know it’s tedious, but with DFs I would recommend editing these as needed to optimize for memory usage and making sure the important features of the mesh are well represented. Beyond that I would keep the volume textures as low as possible when you can.

Oh well, this is gonna take some time for CAD/Datasmith imported models… :frowning: