Distance Anti aliasing problem

Hello everyone,
I am writing this post , if you guys can help me with the problem I’m facing with capturing video in unreal. It looks like while capturing video when it comes to distance the anti aliasing isnt working properly on geometry like louver or window frame. I am using Temporal AA and also used console command
r.TemporalAASamples
r,TemporalAACurrentframeWeight
r.tonemapper.sharpen
these three command resolve the problem in close distance very nicely but after a particular distance things r not working as expected. What am i missing?

1 Like

What are lighting settings in the scene? Specifically:

Directional Light (top half of details panel)
Skylight, even if in SunSky actor (top half of details panel)
World Lightmass Settings
What AA method is selected, and is Temporal Upsampling enabled in the Project settings?
What are the ray tracing settings for GI and AO?

thank you very much for your response . here r the screen shoots.

It may need a proper long distance LOD for those materials / objects. Another possible solution is using bent normal, especially for the ground surface. The Indirect Lighting Intensity in Global Illumination (PPV) looks rather high. Directional Light is at a high intensity (~23.5 lux), so the high indirect intensity might be overbright for those areas getting the aliasing and quality reduction. However, I understand that a high intensity of indirect lighting is likely needed for the scene because it contains fine details in grass, concrete materials (which are already light in color / texture except for inlets and crevices), and the soft metal beams in the structure. I’ve seen a ton of posts about ray traced anti-aliasing not sufficing, and for different kinds of projects, so it’s best to try process of elimination with some things, I think.

Rather than changing LODs settings for every mesh and material, only do it for the meshes / materials having the quality issues. It’s best to search for the how-to on LOD’ing in the doc pages, or look for it in the online learning area of the site. I couldn’t tell how to do it fully here. Same for bent normal.

• Otherwise, I suggest decreasing Indirect Intensity of GI in the PPV (post process volume)

• decreasing the directional light’s intensity to around 16-20

• and increasing a few other settings to build light back into the scene if it’s too dark from those changes

• increase skylight intensity

• decrease AO intensity a bit

• increase Indirect Intensity in skylight by a little (up to 1.5 - 2)

• Then decrease Volumetric Scattering Intensity if using Atmospheric Fog to see if it’s contributing to the quality. If it doesn’t improve the quality, return it to 1, or try increasing it somewhat. Atmospheric Fog doesn’t generate a heavy fog effect with volumetric scattering intensity, but can brighten and smooth the lighting result depending on the scene

• Increase the skylight’s cubemap resolution to at least 512…

• decrease skylight bounces to 5-7, while also decreasing Indirect Bounces to the same range. 10 and 10 are too high, and don’t add much unless the base color of materials is already really high. Each bounce contributes an amount of indirect lighting at a calculation of N ^ 3, or the base color value cubed. So, if base color is 20% grey, or 0.20 plugged into the base color, then the first bounce contributes 0.20 ^ 3 = 0.008, or 0.8% more indirect light. At a base color of 0.90, the first bounce of light would be 0.729 or approximately 73% of the direct light

Thanks for posting the settings, and try any / all of those changes to see how it works. I think that jitter, or aliasing, is being caused by bad interpolation of pixels due to lighting somehow. It’s only in those areas highlighted, which have a sharp transition between light / shadow, and the base color of the materials. Most other areas are smoothly lit, even where transition from shadow to lit is sudden (such as the self-shadowing of the inner walls), and don’t have jagged edges or pieces of the visuals blipping out.