displacement on curved mesh doesnt work right

Hi there,

i got this box mesh with curved edges that i made in sketchup. each corner has a different roudness strength.

In the modelling tab i remeshed the mesh to have about 100.000 triangles, and then displaced it.

Somehow, the large round edges displace well (see corner on the back side of the picture below), but the smaller edges (which are more important for my kind of work) distort heavily when displacing them. does anyone know what the problem/solution is?

cheers,

Philip

@ClockworkOcean u got an idea abt this? :smiley:

Once you’ve remeshed and try displacing, you’re in the hands of the gods, really.

It totally depends on the original geo, or how the remesh algorithm works.

I know what’s happening, but have no idea what it’s called :slight_smile:

If you can model in an external app, you’re much better off doing the whole thing there, and just importing it.

1 Like

@ClockworkOcean is there a proper way to use a displacement/ height map around edges?

i want to create a solid brick wall where you can see the individual bricks in the edges, instead of one solid line

Not really. The system will just displace based on the UVs. If you have the brick pattern in the wrong place, it won’t help.

But you can already make that look a whole lot better just by manipulating the UVs and normal map.

Can you put the albedo and normal here? I will show you…

( If you really want it to look super-bricky, you just have to model it that way… )

Another trick is using a world aligned material, and just sticking some extra bricks in there. The material always lines up because it’s UVs are in the world…

@ClockworkOcean

height map is too large so here is the masked map. should also work

Just the normal :slight_smile:

@ClockworkOcean

this is how i have my mesh set up and uv wrapped in sketchup.

should i just make it a sharp edge, or?

the example youve shown in the post above looks like all i want to achieve.

A curve is better than a hard line. Do you have the normal?

the normal map:

The textures need to be a power of 2.

I changed them all the 512. The most you can hope for with a high poly cube ( and these textures ), is about .5 displacement

But it looks a lot better when I use ‘flatten normal’

They’re all very low quality textures, that’s part of the problem.

This is the same mesh with a megascans material and displacement

@ClockworkOcean

im sorry i should’ve sent all the textures via wetransfer in the first place. this forum crops up the quality drastically.

WeTransfer - Send Large Files & Share Photos Online - Up to 2GB Free (this is the albedo, height, mask and normal map in 4k+)

what i don’t really get is how you seem to get the result in the bottom picture.

Do you import a simple 6-faced cube with straight edges, remesh it in the modelling tab of unreal engine to split it into a lot of triangles, and after that displace it (also in the modelling tab)?

I make it in the modelling tab. It needs to have a lot of geometry for displacement. I used these settings

@ClockworkOcean

okay, and the displacement itself also in the modeling tab or via world position offset in the node setup?

Btw: is there a way to donate to you because youve helped me out a lot already

1 Like

In this example, I did it in the modelling tab. But you can also try WPO and see which works best for you.

Donation, good idea :slight_smile: No, I don’t have anything in place actually… :wink:

( WPO is a lot cheaper ).

@ClockworkOcean

would you be willing to go on a short 10 minute call with me to explain how i should displace a box mesh with rounded edges? i simply can’t get it to work.

I’m willing to pay you 30 euro’s for it.

Cheers,

Philip :smiley:

I’d like the brickwork to look like the example below, where the mesh follows around the edge nicely without distorting much.

I’ll come back to you later ( bit busy rn :slight_smile: )