Displacement and tessellation in UE5

Greetings,

I have recently discovered that displacement and tessellation was deprecated and removed from UE5. A large part of my workflow usually implies using world aligned textures with displacement on low res assets to add detail.

Working without it is proving to be a difficult task as none of the current workarounds can solve my issue (in my instance, a modular house made of pieces of various sizes - baking displacement textures on meshes doesn’t do it).

Can we ever expect it to be re-integrated and even benefit from nanite? Who should I get in touch with for a more direct feedback on this topic?

I think it was an underrated tool and to see it gone breaks numerous possiblities on UE5.

Hi @Raxater, see the long-running thread on this subject

Tesselation needs to come back, desperately

1 Like

Very hard to disagree with this though. Sorry that there are two threads. Maybe that’s because it is such an important issue that doesn’t seem to have been addressed though.

My understanding from some of the lecture videos by EG is that Virtual Heightfield Meshes are the intended replacement feature here (rather than Nanite necessarily). If that’s the case…then they needed to have been in a state where it is as-easily implemented in projects as tessellation and supporting all of the same situational uses before tessellation was deprecated. Working on new tech is great. Deprecating old tech before the replacement is ready? Very bad.

As for Nanite - Nanite is great and very neat technology, but it does not support landscapes and texture painting as of yet…which is absolutely essential (unless you fancy making your entire landscape in an external platform without Heightmaps, yikes). Regarding the UE stream as well:

Karis said that the algorithm that generates the nanite mesh is too slow for real-time.

So it’s unlikely that Nanite will be able to support landscape deformation in real-time on release anyways, unless something major has changed here that has not been publicly disclosed

I have to assume this is because UE5 Early Access is…well…early access. If that’s not the case though I’m not sure I can see myself using it for serious projects. For me, the idea of going backward to older versions of the engine for a more usable feature set is fairly disappointing.