Dismemberment (Dead Space style)

Trust me I did my research. some people already asked about this and got stuck.

Fair enough mate, just trying to help :slight_smile:

Glad you found a solution and I appreciate you sharing your findings.

Small question though: in the latest video, when the second leg is chopped off, you see the npc ‘falling’ on its stomach, as if the bounding box had shrunk, but if the member has only disappeared and not been disconnected, how is this happening?

Looking forward to this! I want to use this feature in my game so you can blow robot’s limbs off.

If only ark had you, maybe it would be decent.

Hopefully the guys at Epic will see this thread and see the demand for better detachable limbs. Wonder what methods Mortal Kombat is using, though I bet they’re still using UE3.

Looking forward to the tutorial :wink:

Although UE4 can’t break bones, it does have hide bones which completely wipes out a whole bunch of joints.

I agree. Even the old Source engine could do way better in L4D. UE4 is so weak at volumetric and this.

Looking pretty cool . I’ve analyzed several techniques (ie: left 4 dead) to implement dismemberment. Many techniques involve modular assembly and part/texture swapping. I favor the SoF GHOUL technique and considered the use of destructible or fracture meshes for modular body parts. In devising Collage Construction to assemble Creatures and other entities, I realized reversing the process ‘dis-assembly’ can be used for dismemberment. Its just a matter of detaching the mesh segments ‘groups’ from the skeleton and applying ragdoll physics.

Gore is fun, but, be sure to include a means to deactivate it to keep your game for getting banned in certain countries lol.

Keep up the great work!