Discover Algorithm Issue

We all know that discover still needs a lot of improving, but in general it works great. It’s not Epic’s fault that players really enjoy tycoons and combat maps, since Creative’s playerbase is almost the same as the Battle Royale one.

The main issue we’ve seen is that the algorithm favors too much Average Playtime. The “Most Popular Maps/Best of UEFN” tabs are full of tycoons because the player spends 40+ minutes playing the map and in most cases, leave it and never play it again. In the current system, It looks like that it’s a lot better for a map if the player plays it ONCE for 40 minutes rather than having someone playing the same map 20min everyday.

No one knows the exact formula of the creative algorithm, but my team has a pretty strong feeling that it’s almost impossible to a minigame map pop-off in discover like a tycoon map. Amongst other maps, we created 3 maps that makes us feel this way.

First map is Bomb Wars. This was our very first UEFN and we published it on May 5th. It got a few players on the first weekend, but after that it was pretty much dead. It’s a hot-potato minigame, but to be honest it will hardly be played for 40+ min. During May the map had an average of 56 ccu players. 18 ccu players during June and 84 during July. In July, we updated it with some achievements, afterlife activities, faster gameplay and the result was good: we got an average of 100 ccu players/day.

The problem is that these numbers didn’t place the map in almost any row in discover during all these months. Most plays came from streamers playing it live or a few hundreds of fans that played the map regularly. Around that time the map had a Retention of 30% (players that played the day before that came back to play the next day)
firefox_bToHBuvIgY

Luckily, we applied to Epic Picks submission in May and got accepted to a feature in August! As you can see by the graph’s curve below, it got the attention of the players and achieved some really high numbers like 5,101 peak with 3000 average ccu players! During that time, the map entered Popular UEFN Experiences and Combat rows of discover, but it only lasted during the week feature. It’s really hard for a minigame map to hold a player for 40minutes+, but players are more likely to come back and play it later. The issue is that the “Retention” (playing daily) seems to be useless for discover rows, making it completely unfair to compete with playing a tycoon map that will be played only one time.

Bomb Wars was featured in August during 1 week and it maintained 862 average ccu/day players during the whole month. With 3 weeks of not being in any discover rows. And during september the same thing: it didn’t enter ANY row in discover and got an average ccu/day of 317 players. The map still has a retention rate of 24% and there are 840 players playing it and it’s been completely left out of any discover row since 24th August (1 day after the Epic Picks feature ended)

If you can’t beat them, join them! In September we decided to make a Tycoon map! MONSTER TYCOON RPG. It’s a pretty cool map that you have to build your house, hunt custom enemies, upgrade weapons, gather pets and lvl up. The map had an average playtime of ~40 minutes and in the second day it was already in a lot of Discover tabs (Fan Favorites/Up and Coming/Tycoon/New in UEFN). Basically, over the last 3 weeks, the map was shown in 12 different discover rows because the average playtime was so high that the algorithm simply put it everywhere. Since there’s no save device, the map is slowly dying as it’s replayability is very low, but it made huge numbers.

And the last map we made was Blade Ball Fortnite. It’s another minigame map, built with our baggage from other minigame maps and this time we created a game similar to a famous Roblox/Overwatch 2 gamemode, making it easier for the player to understand the map. The map had a pretty low start, entering only a few rows of New Experiences in discover. We posted a few clips of the map in social media and got lucky that a pretty big streamer made a tiktok that got 6million views on it, so it suddenly pop-off.
chrome_DS67hN2NkK

The map hit an average of 6.000 ccu players during the weekend and was amongst the most 20 played maps of the game, but it never entered Best of UEFN row probably because it’s average playtime is around 25min and not 40min. It appeared in a new row called “People Love” and “Popular UEFN Experiences” but after a few days left both of them. Even maintaining 2.5k ccu average players and a 24% Retention, it’s only in ONE row (Combat) of discover, which is crazy comparing to our tycoon map that was in almost 10 of them.

We’re not complaining about promoting Tycoon games since they are really fun and maintain a high average playtime, but in my opinion, Epic should consider showing more love to maps that doesn’t focus on making a 40+minutes average playtime, but instead focus on making players coming back to play it more often. (or maybe a minigame row in discover, after all what’s even the point of the tag?)
firefox_7mHMYl8f9a

That’s all, thanks everyone for reading it and let’s keep building :star:

me and my friends map is unable to compete due to it being a roguelike-esq game where you are encouraged to survive as long as you can, it has round supports but with multiple players they are left with a choice to wait or leave the game and join back, unfortunately, leaving the game and joining back counts as a new playtime, so this map is unable to get “high enough” playtime (despite most players likely playing higher than 20-30 minutes) to be able to compete with the rest of discovers alg. it does have very high retention rate which makes me think players are returning to try and get a higher score.

Be careful what you wish for. :slight_smile: Once save is added tycoon-like games will have much higher retention than minigames.

About current situation I disagree that all tycoons are played only once. Non-linear ones can get 20%+ retention. All of these number are still pretty low, in mobile games space anything below 35% is considered bad.

Algorithm is far from being good but I don’t think focusing more on retention will improve it and probably will make it extra hard for new maps to get to Discover.

Other ways it could be improved:

• ratings (1-5 like in Roblox)
  • quit rate (how many players quit the game after playing a map)
  • item shop device use rate
  • discover vs map code use rate

Yeah, I know that when persistence is enabled, progression games will have a greater retention, but the main point is that minigames are not getting the exposure they need to thrive. Having a map with ~700 ccu average players should at least place it somewhere in discover

If Epic wants players to have a variety of games including minigames to choose from, they need to change something in the current system otherwise it will be always full of combat/tycoon games

@Clebito Thank you for your feedback. While I cannot guarantee a response, I can confirm that this has been forwarded to the appropriate team.

1 Like

I Have a map that has a high average playtime with lots of people who love my map that keep replaying it. Id say around 42 minute average playtime. But my map has not been promoted once on discover except for its 30 minutes it got on a discover section when I first posted the map that not many people saw. I think it was new variety section. I summitted my map for epics pick so I hope they accept, I heard it takes a while though. :frowning:

Lol, I spent a year one map and 6 months on the other.
I had a lifetime of 10,000 plays for the 6 months developed map, and 2000 plays for the one year map. Now I don’t make maps at all! Haha :joy: it’s really scammy

I’m broke and this avenue paid me a total of near $120 in over a year. Spent a total of $5000 for influencers and marketing, which didn’t bring players into Fortnite in general or incentive to get them to type in the map in the search bar of Fortnite. 10 clicks on the map when I paid $1000 for 100,000 likes on social media. Who has that kind of money? Oh wait! The big creators, that’s right. Typical gamer and those types of people. Basically it’s another “takes money to make money” theme.

fly-thru

And it has no major bugs
And the players love it
But the algorithm and Fortnite is the problem.
This whole system is based on luck and is a high risk gamble.
Some creators make it onto discover ( big creators, creators with a lot of money)
And some never will ( broke creators who try hard to make a living working all the time, while they work some more of their free given time after work designing games that will never see discover)