Disable Tooltips?

Is there a way to disable tooltips?

Or also have an option to hold a key similar to “CTRL+ALT” for some buttons to display tooltips?

I tried looking through the Editor Preferences and the Config INI files to no avail…

Hi Galagast,

If you right click the icon that highlights in the top right corner, there is a button there that says “Don’t remind me again”. Press that and it should disable the tutorials.

[= ;255955]
Hi Galagast,

If you right click the icon that highlights in the top right corner, there is a button there that says “Don’t remind me again”. Press that and it should disable the tutorials.
[/]

Um, OP did not ask for disabling tutorials, but tooltips that uses CTRL+ALT to show more info about.

Ah my mistake, I misunderstood the request. I have entered a feature request. UE-12497 to be assessed by the development staff.

To disable it in the Editor just type “Slate.AllowToolTips 0” without quotes in the console and “Slate.AllowToolTips 1” to enable it.

To bring up the console: Window->Developer Tools->Session Frontend

2 Likes

Awesome! Got it to work. Thank you very much :slight_smile:

(apologies for the late reply, i probably didn’t have notifications turned on)

Sorry for bumping this zombie thread. However, if you’re coming to this thread from Google, the command to disable tooltips changed in v4.24.0 to Slate.EnableTooltips 0

Also you can bring up a quick command prompt (instead of bringing up the console) with the ` key

5 Likes

came here from Google. was not disappointed.

3 Likes

I came here… and I’m disappointed. Banging in console commands to toggle em on/off isn’t really a solution… Would be nice to have an option to only show them with <alt/ctrl/shift> hover.

On the other hand even if they add an option, the overwhelming vast majority of users - even ones who were annoyed by the tooltip - wouldn’t bother to toggle an option even if they knew the option existed.

1 Like

I just noticed a different workaround which I find better than enabletooltips. The accidental constant tool tip popup is ~less~ annoying, but it’s more annoying when you actually want to see the tool tip.

Slate.TooltipSummonDelay 2 (or 1 or 3 or… whatever)

6 Likes

Slate.TooltipSummonDelay 35

This could be in a engine setting for a convenience…

1 Like

Hopefully, this fixes my problem with permanent freezes on my Ubuntu 22.04 with AMD GPU.
Those tool-tip are useful, but it freezes app too much.

This workaround works but it resets when the engine restarts. Do you know how to keep this persistent?

First off, Credit to my man Mike Seese at (@mikeseese@mastodon.social) - Mastodon for figuring out a couple ways to do this. As many people noted, each of these have pros and cons so pick what is best. I know this post is about disable tooltips but others were asking about changing the time. Setting the time to something large will act like it is disabled and with these methods below, stays persistent for most of your working time.

Confirmed in 5.3.2

Method 1
Shut down the editor, open “YOURGAME\Saved\Config\WindowsEditor\Engine.ini” and add

[SystemSettings]
Slate.TooltipSummonDelay=2.0

Save and close the file. The pro is this folder can be set to Ignore for your VCS. Con is if you are like me, you will delete this folder a lot so make a backup.

Method 2
Shut down the editor, open “YOURGAME\Config\DefaultEngine.ini” and add

[SystemSettings]
Slate.TooltipSummonDelay=2.0

Pro is that if you check in your Config folder, everyone can use it as default. Con is also everyone has to use it or modify locally.

Method 3
If you have access to the Engine file, SlateUser.cpp, you can adjust the time there. Con is that it is in engine file.

For 5.3.2, its line 47 in the .cpp file.

Method 4
Use the Console Variables Editor. This is a neat tool that makes a file for you and you can add everything it allows if you want. The con is you have to run it every time you launch the editor. Great if you have 20 things but not so much if you have only tooltips to deal with. If anyone finds a way to have this ConsoleVariableCollection file run on launch, you would be a hero if you posted the steps here.

1 Like