Disable Gamepad Left-Thumbstick when navigating inside a widget (game and UI mode)

I have a widget in the viewport and I want to use the D-pad to navigate around while use the left and right thumbstick to play the game. How can I achieve that?

At the moment the left thumbstick also controls the UI so when I move around the selection in the widget also changes.

I found this online but it did’t solve the problem

https://answers.unrealengine.com/que…ut-on-umg.html

Please let me know if you figure this out! I’m desperately trying to figure this out.

Was anyone able to figure this out?

here’s one way:

input is handled on the player controller

make an enumerator called something like “input state”

when the UI is active, change the InputState to UI_State and when the character is meant to walk, change it to "Movement_State

On the player controller, from the input events, switch on the enumerator. If its “Movement state” send the input event to the character blueprint to handle.
If it’s UI_State, send input event to the UMG to handle.

You can think of it like a switchboard.

Here is example from my project:

In the switchboard macro:

you can also wrap states into uobjects. That is a little more organized and you can leverage inheritance that way, but it is more steps to setup initially. More info on that here: State Management, State Machines, and the State Design Pattern in Unreal Engine 4 Blueprint - YouTube

there are other methods that involve managing an input priority which is probably the official way epic might handle things, but it’s more confusing to me because it’s a bit hidden and not explicit as you making the rules yourself.