Disable foliage parenting or remove landscape without foliage?

Hello all,

is there a way to remove the landscape without the foliage, or better: disabling the parenting and snapping of foliage on the terrain?
I tried to get access to the instances with EditorUtilityBlueprints but couldn’t find exposed parameters there.
I also tried to copy all the transforms of the instances, clear all instances and create new ones with the same transforms but this had no impact. This implies that the parenting happens not directly on the instances but on its components. Apparently foliage instance components can’t be created with Editor Utilities.

Would be great if someone knows something about it or could help me with this:)

All best

I found a solution to separate the foliage by creating a new blueprint with a lot hierarchical instanced static mesh -components and then filling it with a editor-utility-blueprint.
It grabs the data of the selected landscape and copies the transforms into the new blueprint (BP_foliage_replacement).

Technially it should work like the default foliage in Unreal (because foliage instances are inhering from HISM) but the frustum culling of HISM is not working as I want. If someone has an idea why HISMs are not culling correctly, let me know :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing this !

I know it’s been 2 years but have you ever had to tackle this problem again and have you found a better solution ? :slight_smile:

There is still no default-option for this problem afaik :confused: We are now working with static meshes for most things and transform them into HISM-actors later, so we don’t run into these problems again.

1 Like

Thank you, I am dealing with the same issue here. Unable to delete the landscape or Mesh that the foliage is on when I accidentally had two cloned landscape meshes. Now i delete the cloned mesh and it removes on half of the foliage, where the other half stays. I this affects weeks of foliage. :slight_smile:

My Landscape is doing this:

So I constantly have to redo my foliage piece by piece. It is Infuriating. I kid you not, I have rebuilt my games over 100 times from scratch because of the Landscape Bugs (I have submitted over 100 landscape issues on the forums) Most creators just delete thier projects and dont submit the tickets but for me, I actually NEED complex landscapes and know more than the average creator in regards to making great games, but then I also dont have the time to keep deleting the landscape and repainting the entire foliage in the world. So I wonder if they will ever come out with a solution to reapplying foliage to a new landscape. Probably not since these bugs aren’t fixed after a year. Wishful thinking