Disable blueprint's construction script / Stop it from compiling when opening it in editor. (Editor Freezes)

Hi, I have a blueprint class that spawns different meshes (through construction script) and actors (in the event graph under BeginPlay). While working in one of its functions, I made a mistake and created an infinite loop: The editor freezed when I compiled.
Now, whenever I click on the blueprint or try to edit it, the whole Editor freezes. I found a log saying that it went over 1 million repetitions in a specific function.

I realized that whenever I try to open the blueprint, UE compiles it, causing the whole editor to freeze.

This is a problem since I know the function that has the loop with issues, but I cannot edit it since opening the blueprint editor compiles and freezes everything.

I was wondering if there is a way to disable its construction script, or stoping the blueprint to compile whenever I open it.

I need to edit the blueprint without UE running or compiling it.
I am really trying to avoid recreating it since it is quite a long script.

I can’t think of the proper way, but maybe if you are lucky you can edit the right parameters in the Property Matrix so the loop doesn’t happen? Depends on your code.

Somehow the editor also freezes when I try to open the Property Matrix

I found out a way around it.
I’ve seen a lot of posts here and in reddit saying a similar thing: not being able to edit back a blueprint since it crashes the editor as soon as you click on it.

I did not know that autosave files are stored directly in the saved folder. Directly in the file explorer, I just erased my corrupted blueprint, and replaced it with the corresponding file from the autosaves folder which had an older date. I also cleaned the name, erasing the _Auto#.

That worked let me open the blueprint again without me losing it completely.

I still find ridiculous that unreal doesn’t have a direct way of opening the blueprint after an accidental infinite loop is created.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.