DirectX 12 with the SM6 shader format not support in win11

Hi, folks,

I have the following error message popping up in my engine 5.3.2 :

Missing support for advanced rendering features

This project attempted to launch DirectX 12 with the SM6 shader format but it is not support by your system... 

I’ve searched this issue for a long time and find that the problem is usually related to old version of windows, graphic card, or even old laptop.

But My PC system is windows 11, 23H2, build 22631.3447,and with GPU: GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER (DX12 support), which I think should supports the engine’s system requirement.

Does anyone know how to solve this issue?

BTW, I am working on VR project on Meta’s Quest 2. Hope the solution will not affect the development.

Thanks!

The error message “Missing support for advanced rendering features” in Unreal Engine 5.3.2 is related to the DirectX 12 shader format not being supported by your system. This issue is often caused by an outdated version of Windows, an outdated graphics card, or an outdated laptop. However, since your PC system is running Windows 11, 23H2, build 22631.3447, and has a GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER GPU, which should support the engine’s system requirements, the issue may be related to incorrect project settings.

To resolve this issue, you should check your project settings in the Unreal Engine 5.3.2 editor. Specifically, you should ensure that your default RHI is set to DirectX 12 and DirectX 11, and that DirectX 12 SM6 is turned on. Additionally, you should make sure that the following project settings are set up correctly in the rendering tab:

• Dynamic level elimination set to lumen
  • Array lighting mode set to surface cache
  • Software ray tracing mode set to detail tracing
  • Shadow map method set to virtual shadow maps beta
  • Support hardware ray tracing turned on and used when available (only if you have a GPU capable of hardware ray tracing)

After making these changes, you should restart the engine and it will have to recompile all the shaders. If you still encounter the error after making these changes, you may want to consider updating your graphics card drivers or reinstalling the Unreal Engine 5.3.2 editor.

2 Likes

First thank @adlab 's reply!

I’ve tried the setting mentioned by adlab.
However it did not work for me…
Then I saw the recently released 5.4 engine, installed it, and the error just disappeared!
IDK, maybe it’s just the problem of that version…?

BTW, the

Array lighting mode set to surface cache

Should be Ray lighting mode in the setting.

Because the meta VR’s plugin only support for UE5.3 for now, so I head back to test on the UE5.3.

Even though I reinstall it, still not help.

And then I found this thread:

After I turning off the MSI Afterburner, the problem of UE5 gpu crashed or d3d device removed and Missing support for advanced rendering features solved!

It seems to be reasonable because when the MSI Afterburner is on, nearly every (sub)window in UE 5 will have system stats render on it.

The UE5 is composed of many windows by its design, so I think Afterburner will try to render on every of them, therefore make the system/ GPU/ DX12 problematic?

Anyway, I just follow the reply’s solution to exclude the UnrealEditor.exe in Afternurner and the problem solve.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.