Different keyboard layouts

Hello,
Is there a way to unify input for different keyboard layouts?
For example, with czech keyboard (and many different as well), keys 0-9 work as +ěščřžýáíé, so whenever player starts the game for the first time, the 0-9 bindings don’t work because player has to rebind them. On top of that, because they have rebound the keys, hotbar no longer shows 0-9, but +ěščřžýáíé, which is confusing.

So, is there a way, that player with different keyboard will be able to use +ěščřžýáíé as normal 0-9 without rebinding?
The solution can be from BP or C++, doesn’t matter.

Or at least is there a way to detect keyboard layout? So I can manually rebind them for supported languages?

2 Likes

Našel jsi řešení?

Yes and no, I needed it quickly, so I did it dirty and used hacky solution, got it to work, but there are definitely better solutions like remapping the keymap at runtime or something else, but for my needs, I have modified the engine for 0-9 keys to be treated always the same regardless of keyboard layout (based on their physical location, so 1 will always call a binding for 1).

I have manually added 0-9 to KeyMap, so they are not added with char code from the localized layout (e.g. +), but rather with physical char code (e.g. 1). I have did it only for cooked versions of the game, so in editor, the keys would behave the same as they did.

On windows it would be FWindowsPlatformInput::GetKeyMap in WindowsPlatformInput.cpp
I don’t remember the exact code I used, it was something like:

ADDKEYMAP( "0" + 0, TEXT("Zero") );
ADDKEYMAP( "0" + 1, TEXT("One") );

Ve verzi 4.26 (30.05 2021 nejnovější) to už funguje. Musíš zmáčknout tlačítko na vlastní input. I když se tam ukáže chyba která říká že toto tlačítko nejde přiřadit, funguje mi to normálně.

Yeah, you can assign it, the problem I had wasn’t with assigning it, but rather that if I have assigned “1” to the bind by default, new players with different keyboard layout had to assign their “1” (e.g. “+” in Czech) and then I they had “+” in their hotbar instead of “1”. What I wanted was keyboard unification for 0-9, so the input is based on the physical layout of the keyboard and not virtual layout (e.g. you have to press shift to write 1 in Czech)

This is starting to be a problem, it is still not fixed in UE not even In 5 and more and more games launch with this out of the box. I would love a solution to be available to all.

1 Like