Differences between map layers and outliner folders?

I’m starting out with UE and I’m trying to figure out what’s the difference between putting actors on a layer versus putting them inside a folder (in the outliner). So far the only difference I could find is that you can access layers in BP but it seems you don’t have that kind of control with folders.

What other differences are there? When do you use one and when the other?

Hello Ilozen,

Layers give you extra organizational functions.

From docs: For example, you might be working on a building that has multiple [floors] but is comprised of many modular parts. By assigning each floor to a layer, you can hide each of the floors you are not working on making the top view much more manageable.

So in the outliner, you might have a folder ‘lights’ with all the lights from all the floors, but then you could have specific lights per layer.

I’d also consider working with Levels if it makes sense for the project. (Discreet areas)

I noticed that I cannot right click on the ‘Layers’ panel when using World Partition. I think the expectation here is that you’d use the new “Data Layers” system (Window → World Partition → Data Layers Outliner)

Hope that helps!