Download

Difference among blueprint types - level, third person character, game mode.

I am new to Unreal Engine 4. I cannot understand what kind of stuff should go into each of the following 3 blue prints. I mean, how are they different from one another?

• Level
  • Third person character
  • Third person game mode

In case it depends upon the type of game, here are a couple of examples that I am currently exploring.

1. Subway Surfer / Temple Run
  2. Dragon Age Inquisition (multiple characters are controlled; the player can switch between any of the characters at any time)

I’d be grateful for any tips in the right direction.

Hi, epic made a live stream that explains the basics of those classeshttps://youtube.com/watch?v=0LG4hiisflg
Also make sure to check out the documentation, content examples, tutorials and such.

You overlooked one of the most important classes already: Player-Controller:stuck_out_tongue: Look, there is more info available on this area than just about anything else. But its all very dry / boring! So to simplify things for now, if you’re just working on a simple single-player game, you can mostly work with just one class which will be: ThirdPersonCharacter or FirstPersonCharacter or Pawn (depending on your chosen game type). Put everything in there for now: mouse-keyboard-gamepad Inputs / gamelogic / everything…

Then as you become more comfortable with the UE framework, you can start to leverage the other classes to help you organize your code better. But I would start by taking apart sample games first. Why? Because this is the most powerful and direct way to learn how things are setup in UE… So, follow some of the devs listed in the first post here, or start with UE4resources.com etc. Or not, as you can also get the same info by watching a LOT of video tutorials. But be warned, many are out of date or incomplete. :wink:

Thank you both for your replies. I really appreciate it…
I’ll check out that live stream video, and I shall definitely keep those tips in mind.
Thanks again. :slight_smile: