Die to Survive - Railshooter

So then first of all, welcome :partying_face:
And thank you, i loved this game so much. So this really inspired me a lot.

Edit: Ok forget about this question, i just see you post a game in here :grinning:

Wich kind of game do you release? Can you share a link, and if you moved to UE, do you already started something new ?

2 Likes

It is really fun to build without even thinkung about polys.
Here is a picture from what i am building and testing at the moment. I am about to build a modular system for a graveyard.
Really start to love nanite.
No normal maps, all is only polys. This little coffin is around 1 million polys.

Here is also a link to one of the models with 3D view. There you can have a look at a model of an tombstone.
Link: 3D view of a tombstone

Edit:
It is really fun to playing around and testing nanite. It is really awsome what you can do with it.
But i am also afraid this level of detail for a whole game, if you do all of the develop alone will take many years to build …

3 Likes

Just a little image again.
I tried to pack all UV´s of all parts from an model into only a single UV.
You lose a little of resolution if you are very very close but it seems like it works the same way as in UE4. So it seems like it is again a tradeoff, resolution against performance.
And Maya really hates models with high polys in UV editor so you still need the low res models to transfer the settings …

I guess next thing i should try is doing this with VT and UDIM´s. To get more resolution without big performance impact.
But so far i am really happy how UE5 works.

2 Likes

Outstanding! Did you model these assets yourself? If so, you are a very Talented Artist my friend! :clap::clap::clap:

To be honest, I don’t feel comfortable of going high poly for game development yet, I think I am still not ready for this next step :grin:

I don’t want to get out of my comfort zone, I am already used to normal maps, to optimize my models, to think about occlusion, texture pool size, getting optimal performance, bake lightmaps. I think that I prefeer to do the optimization myself and don’t let the engine do it all for me.

Maybe in the future, I don’t know, but as for now just moving from UDK Engine to UE4 was a HUGE move for me.

Cheers and best regards!

2 Likes

Thank you, yes i model all assets myself.

I thought it would be easier just using the high res models.
It is funny, you start almost every time with high models and bake the normal maps.
But using the high res models themself is more work to finish them the way you can use them without needing a high end computer to run a build.

At the moment it seems to me like it is a good idea having a 4k map and get a texel density around 12 in maya. Then try to fit a few models into the uv map so you can reduce the textures you need and have a consitant resolution for all models.

A lot of models would need to split up to much to fit into a 2k map with this texel.

But i still testing a lot. I hope i can do also some gameplay again very soon :crazy_face:

And if you like to see how crazy this can get i have a nice image i can show.
Setting this up feelt like in the 90´s in an arcade hall playing tetris.

And this is not even final still space left in there :laughing:

3 Likes

Hahaha, cool bro! And congratulations! I know, you are using what is called texture atlas, and yes, from my experience on getting UDK Engine running on PS3 (a very weak hardware), I realized that what most eats video memory is not the polycount itself, but the textures resolution. So yeah, optimizing the textures will be essential for getting your game running on low end pc’s. And believe me, if you want your game to be commercialy successful you need to ensure that most players who have a low end PC can run your game.

Cheers!

1 Like

Still testing nanite. This little scene is around 40 million polys … i am really impresed of what you can do with UE 5.

4 Likes

I hade a look what i have tested so far before playing with Nanite.

I found a very old idea for a prototype level i scrapped because of the model amount, the visibility distance and also copyright issues that would be.
To get informations about this and measure the dimensions of this mall drived me crazy.

But with UE 5 this looks now more in range to do now.

So i have a riddle. Who can guess what the place in this video is.
A little hint, it is from a movie out of the 70´s i watched as a kid and it is still one of my favorite horror movies.

2 Likes

The atmosphere looks cool, kinda horror movie :grin:

1 Like

Hum, I guess it is the cult classic Dawn of the Dead :grin:

2 Likes

Dawn of the Dead is a solid guess! Admittedly I haven’t seen that movie, but it is on my “to-watch” list. @Thorsten09 All of the updates are looking wonderful; please keep them coming! :grin:

2 Likes

Yes dawn of the dead is right :slight_smile:
But even without the copyright to build this would be a game on his own.
There are more than 100 stores in this mall if i remember right what i found out.
And of course the interior … this feels more like a liftime project for a single person if it be done right and accurate.
But i like the idea you could do this with UE 5.

@Zezkaii you should really watch this clasic movie. As far as i know this was the second movie from romero based on “zombies” (first should be “night of the living dead”).
And if you like this kind of movies also watch “nightmare city” from around 80. Almost nobody liked this at the time but only because the zombies are running insted of moving slow. But it is a funny and gory movie (based on the time).

1 Like

Sorry for the delayed response; as a film enthusiast of sorts, I definitely plan on watching “Dawn of the Dead,” and since you recommended “nightmare city,” I’ll also add that to my watch list! When I think about it, having more than one hundred stores in a mall sounds farfetched. But after a simple google search, I had my mind adequately blown. WOW! :laughing:

1 Like

A little hint, it is from a movie out of the 70´s i watched as a kid and it is still one of my favorite horror movies.

You’re telling your age haha. I would have never guessed Dawn of the Dead. Zach’s Snyders 2004 version dominates my memories of it. Not certain younger generations could appreciate the 70’s Mall design.

1 Like

Hows it going @Thorsten09? Just checking in on You and Die to Survive. I also wanted to inform I’ve started designng Dynamic Routes subSystem for V8 Supercam. The Routes system will generate Rails and Tracks. Rails feature a Runtime Editor in which you can Navigate the Level and Record Viewpoints. Playback will take control of the camera and repeat the movement and orientation recorded. I’m figuring out how to go about recording the camera movement. Open to ideas.

2 Likes

Hi @TechLord ,
so yeah you guess right i am not a very young gamer, played since pong and hade almost all systems since then :).
And you are right, the most people wouldnt even know what the hints i tested in the mall even would mean. But after a lot of thinking i dont will do this anyway because it is still a used IP and only would cause problems.

About the project: I Still try to get the best out of nanite.
I tried a lot with polypaint and ZBrush so i dont have to use textures but at the moment it just dont work very well with this game.

I also tried this in a sidescroller i worked on (like r-type) there it seems to work. I guess it is about the distance between camera and environment dont really change often. So it seems like because of this the Nanite models LOD dont change as much and so this looks like this could work.

Just try this so hard because without Textures and Normals you could really save a lot of drivespace and save a lot of performance and could be run also on lower GPU´s without big problems.

Hi @Thorsten09. Are you still working on Die to Survive? I sure hope so. Its the only Rail Shooter Project I’m aware of here in the Forums. It rekindled my deep down desire to develop a Rail Shooter myself and motivated me to work on the viewpoint recording system for V8Supercam.

1 Like

Hi @TechLord , yes still working on it.
Just slowing down because of UE5 and the new models.

At the moment it seems like the best way to use Nanite for this project is to build high res models without normal maps and build a way so i can reuse the same textures for larger things like walls. Then work with decals for details (almost like normal in UE4).

Just testing a last thing … i try how it can use procedural levels also.
This would add a rouge-like-lite element. Not sure how this turns out for a railshooter, so it is more a warping around my head about this idea/problem.
Not sure but i guess this would just be to much to include for a release.
But i want to test it now so i can build the framework the way i can implement it easier later without bigger problems.

I hope i can show of a pice of it in the next few weeks (maybe also a very short demo).

2 Likes

That’s Excellent News! The progress vids/pics stopped, so I assumed progress stopped. Die To Survive Progress vid/pics were highly motivational to me, for me. I strangely became dependent on them, constantly visiting these forums to see them. Fueling my deep down desire to develop a Rail Shooter.

My fault.

I live by what I preach so I reckoned I should show some videos of my progress, lol.

Hit a snag designing the Record/Playback Camera Rails feature, sortof . . .

The idea is simple record camera movement at runtime. Playback it back at runtime on-demand.

There are a few methods I recognized to Record, in which ‘recording’ is essentially storing Transform values|deltas in an Array. Playback is reading the elements in the array and setting the Transforms. Due to the design of V8SuperCam I can store:

1. Camera ‘Mount’ Transform
  2. Camera ‘Focus’ (target) Transform
  3. Character (Body) Transform in relation to the Camera.
  4. Viewtarget Actor Transition Sequence

The design allows for a variety of Playback methods using the same data. The camera and body data can be played back together or independently in a synchronous or asynchronous manner. This is ideal for typical Rail Shooter Mechanics and hybrids.

Typical RailShooter Mechanic

Player would only have control of arms/weapon/reticle while direct control over the camera and body movement are inhibited.

After testing towards a Typical RailShooter Mechanic, I elected to use a Full ThirdPerson Body (vs no Body) so I can switch between Reticle Only, First Person, and Thirdperson Perspectives if desired. (I will never make a single perspective 3D game again.)

To achieve this, i have to split control of body and camera between two (2) Controllers and two (2) Pawns/Characters. One Player Controller. One AI Controller.

The Player controls the Character Arms/Weapon/Reticle, the AI Controls Body and Camera.

OR Invert the controls in which

The AI Controls the Pawn Body Movement and Weapon, The Player Controls the Camera.

OR Mix the controls in which

The Player Controls Pawn Body, The AI Controls the Weapons and Camera.

Procedural Camera Rails.

During Testing, I had to set up a AI Controlled Pawn (Bot). I manually oriented waypoints in the level and assigned to the AI Controlled Character to navigate. The ‘Where do I go’ Logic randomly assigned waypoints so the Bot can move from one waypoint to another using a simple MoveTo() supporting NavMesh Pathfinding.

The movement between waypoints is not very exciting with a basic grounded character (Test #2 flying character) so I decided to 1. grab all the actors in the environment; 2. select one random; 3. Use MoveTo() to navigate to it. This simple idea is evolving into a on-demand real-time procedurally generated route system for Rails.

I say all of the above to say this: Now a Rail Shooter with Procedurally Generated Rails and Transitions is in reach. Proc Rails will be able to support Roguelike Proc Generated Levels and on-the-fly scenarios in which each experience could be psuedo unique (as I would use Stream Seeds). I didnt consider this before. This may be the means to rebrand Rail Shooters and bring the Gamers back.

I’m electing to incorporate as a GameMode I call RailShooter-NG (NG = Next Gen).

My Progress Videos

Exclusive: SuperManny - YouTube

2 Likes

@TechLord. At the moment i still try a lot of things what you can do with UE5.
For example, i still need to figure out how to delete/disable the collision on a SKmodel the right way (for dismembering single parts in PAT). I read with UE4 was some sort of workaround for this but i didnt get is there to test it. And with UE5 and the new system this should work.

And it turned out this procedural leveldesign for a reilshooter is kinda hard to do. Because it heavy depends on events and attached spawnpoints for what i build.

So at the moment looks like to do this could mostly only work with lots of levels and random switching between movment manager i build.

Right now i try if i can put my gore/enemy system into a “Lyra” project because the framework seems really finished.
If this works i will test there a few rules for rouge-like games. It is just easier to test such systems if you simply can walk around.

But after this test, i think i just move on for now and first finish a simple rail-shooter, expand on this with new ideas is always possible. I already build the system for game modes and levels a way so i can add easy more.

Edit:
And just to have a picture. This is the way i will go now with the new bigger models.
The ones here have only a simple albedo texture, the rest is polygons. This will save a lot of GPU Memory. I really love nanite.

1 Like