dialogue system where to start

There are some dialog plugins in marketplace. I would obviously recommend my own, Snowfall Plugin, it has the functionality you’re requiring.

If you don’t want to purchase a plugin, you can do it yourself by doing a “find and replace” search in your dialog String, replacing “[npc.name]” to “Jessica” every time a dialog is going to be show in a Text widget. You can do that with the Replace Blueprint node.

I want to create a dialogue/Text system that allow me to fill in some word using keyword or something similar like this:

You see [npc.name] in the distance.

and would be replaced by

You see Jessica in the distance.

So I was wondering if there was a system in place for something like this.

You can make it by using trigger boxes and widgets

What is a trigger box?

Clarification, I know what is a trigger box but are you supposed to use a trigger box in this situation

You can make it so the NPC has a trigger box on it and when you enter it then it can create the widget for the dialogue system.

You can make it so if you are standing in the trigger box and press a key on the keyboard and/ or button on a controller, then the a widget will open.

Yes that’s what i intended to do, but it doesn’t actually answer the original question for string manipulation.

Something like this?

298744-005.png

298745-006.png

You see [npc.name] in the distance.

The most basic functionality can be achieved with the Format Text node. Check here for a brief example.

For something more in-depth do consider giving Rich Text Block a go. It is substantially more powerful and flexible but does require more upfront work to set it up.