Development Build error: Ensure condition failed: oldValue == newValue. ThreadingBase.cpp Line: 311

Hello everyone,

I am trying to make a development build of my game but running into this error. What does this mean and how do I fix this?

ProjectLauncher_devbuild53.log (13.1 MB)

here’s line 311 from that file. although this is from 5.2, I couldn’t find the 5.3 file for some reason.

4 Likes

Getting the same error here in my developmental packaged build, did you find any solution to this problem?

I have not, but I have submitted a bug report.

Can you confirm this happens in a blank blueprint project for you too in 5.3.1?

does this happen for you when you make a shipping build instead of a dev build?

It does not happen in 5.2.1. for me

I conducted some tests and discovered that when I created a development build for a blank blueprint project in version 5.3.1, I did not encounter any errors. The same was true when I created a blank project in version 5.2 and switched it to 5.3.1. However, I did encounter an error when I switched my current project from version 5.0 to 5.3.1. I am unsure of what is causing this error.

interesting. were you building through the project launcher? I have only tried this with the project launcher so far, might try the other route later.

as a general note, I was recommended to update versions incrementally: so go from 5.0 to 5.1 to 5.2. to 5.3 instead of skipping versions.

another question is: do you have the ThreadingBase.cpp file on your machine anywhere? when I search for it with Everything I can only find the 5.2.1. version of that file.

Let me check if the error is affected by an incremental version increase.

If you’re using the source version of Unreal Engine, you can locate the ThreadingBase.cpp file at “UE-5.3.0\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\HAL\ThreadingBase.cpp”.

right, so you’re using the source version then? I’m using the launcher version and can’t find the file. my 5.2. is the launcher as well but I do have the file in that case. Not sure if that’s relevant though.

1 Like

I checked and the file for the 5.3.1 launcher version is in the same location.

1 Like

I’m also switching my game from 5.2 to 5.3 and in 5.3, I have the same error in my developement build as well. Exact same call stack. Strange thing is, it’s makred as “Handled”, so the game should not crash on it. It should crash on a UnHandled ensure.

So I built the DebugGame build. And sometimes it crashes with this mode, and sometimes not.
I also find out the Developement build dosen’t crash 100% of the time. If I spam the .exe, at one moment, it will pass. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Once it passed, it will work 100% of the time for a moment.
Have you the same behavior ?

1 Like

I haven’t tested crashing extensively but so far have not gotten any crashes with dev mode. That being said I only built with the project launcher so far

1 Like

Same issue over here with dev builds in 5.3.
Has anyone already submitted a bug report for this?

2 Likes

I have submitted a report around a week ago but not have heard back yet

4 Likes

I thought I was losing my mind.
I have the exact same problem with even the same symptoms. It seems it will crash at least once, and then from there on, it somehow becomes stable. Very weird behavior, but can be reproduced 100% of the time on a fresh re-package. What’s weird is this error does not occur when I launch the game from the editor or inside the editor. I’m only seeing this on packaged builds.
No real issues on 5.0, 5.1, or 5.2.
Now I’m on 5.3 and this is occurring. Here is my call stack:

Edit: Does not matter if it’s Development or Shipping. Same issue.

4 Likes

Hello there, we have exactly the same problem since 5.3.0. We only observe this in packaged build (in Development, haven’t tested with Test or Shipping builds). I don’t think that anyone has made a ticket yet. I would like too, but I can’t reproduce it yet on an empty project.
I’m trying to figure out what is going wrong, but apparently the symptoms are random crash at game launch. Even if it doesn’t crash, I’m getting this exception “Ensure condition failed: oldValue == newValue”

1 Like

我也是相同的问题,不知道怎么解决。打包成发行版就会跳过这个错误,开发版就直接报错,程序崩溃。

this update to unreal 5 has been a complete nightmare

3 Likes

Same here. Wtf Epic?! Didn’t have this issue in 5.2.0.

what are you going to do? Im going back to UE4. It was stable and we still have software mobile occlusion.

I can see where epic is going with unreal 5. Its mostly for high end games now, with bugs like this living on in the engine update after update. I mean, the writing was on the wall they removed software occlusion that UE5 was going to be Mobile/VR unfriendly

there are no game breaking bugs like this in UE4. this bug is game breaking and it could ruin a reputation. This bug has lived in UE5 since the birth of UE5…its its still here…who knows what else it will break down the road, even when fixed…because it was neglected…

Luckily I dev for Quest 2/3/Pro and I didn’t have any issues on that platform. So I am not going back. UE5 has Snow Occlusions, which is a plugin that adds software occlusion culling back and makes it even better!

1 Like

This has been our issue as well after our upgrade from 5.2. There are random times that the project won’t start at all after a fresh package. After spamming the executable, it will run and be more stable on next runs as described by the others.

After some investigation, I got to replicate this issue on an empty 5.3.2 project by turning the ShareMaterialShaderCode off. To test, just debug your Development Game thru your IDE as it is 100% reproducible from that compared to the packaged builds. I also observed that the same error logs show on the builds that successfully ran but it does not crash. The logs show an ensure issue only but probably it has deeper issue (thus, the ensure).

Setting DX11 as your default RHI also removes this issue but either any of this is our ideal fix, so I’m still stuck. It might be a temporary workaround for the others though.

Just wanted to know if this has been the case for the others?

2 Likes