Red Pill VR is looking for talented Technical Artists with a successful track record of improving performance through analysis and optimization while maintaining the visual fidelity of a gorgeous and immersive world. This position requires the ability and willingness to proactively work with all disciplines to solve complex technical problems as well as learn the processes and pipelines of each discipline to quickly remove day to day obstacles from the team’s path.
- Define the visual look and feel of the environments and audio life forms
- Determine the various tools part of our pipeline
- Help define the categories of visual content technologies we will be adding to UE4
- Love music and understand basic music theory concepts
- Compute shader
- Develop custom workflows using scripts and coded tools solutions for art team
- Maintain integrity of art pipelines by identifying inefficiencies and recommending and implementing improvements
- Troubleshoot key pipeline issues and solve core problems in cooperation with development team
- Support the technical art needs of our client-facing project requirements and partner expectations
- Facilitate technical art communication across disciplines by providing clear and constructive feedback and guidance
- Collaborate with a diverse team to promote innovation and refine the visual quality of our games
- Work with artists and designers to create and document workflows and best practices for the creation of optimized content
- Use visual debug and profiling tools to identify the cause of performance problems
- Partner with Artists, Designers, and Programmers to find creative solutions to solve difficult memory and performance issues
- Optimize, organize, and debug shader and materials graphs throughout production
- Work closely with Artists and rendering Engineers to develop materials, lighting models, and shaders to help reach artistic goals
- Understand and operate within the requirements and processes of each department to be able to troubleshoot and eliminate technical obstacles
- Anticipate the needs of the artists so as to streamline their productivity.
- Work with artists to optimize assets for performance
- Develop and implement new ideas/technologies/solutions, seeing them to completion.
- Teach valuable points of information to anyone who may require it.
- Participate in the critiquing of your work and the work of others.
- Day-to-day problem solving and self-prioritization of tasks.
- Commitment to making art data production as simple and effective for general artists to create over the entire length of a project.
- Be meticulous and organized in the approach to the tasks, files and storage of the material.
- Be technically savvy with a track record of strong problem solving skills
- Excellent understanding of the inner workings of the asset export pipeline.
- Have the forward-thinking ability to research new industry developments and art techniques for future projects.
- 6+ years game industry experience, 3+ specifically in a technical artist role
- Shipped 2+ AAA title (or equivalent) as a Technical Artist
- Tech-fluency in at least one development language, such as Python, MEL, LUA, Perl, C# or C++
- Proficient with tools such as MAX and /or Maya
- Experience working in Unreal Engine
- Experience working on wide range of tech art projects, in terms of art tools, graphics engines and game hardware
- High technical proficiency in areas such as lighting, rendering and texturing as it applies to material and shader creation (HLSL)
- Expert-level familiarity with environment art creation and workflow, especially with an eye on performance and memory management
- Excellent communication, documentation and organizational skills
- Bachelors in a related field or equivalent experience is required
- Shader scripting/coding skills e.g. Cg/HLSL, GLSL, RenderMan, MentalRay or similar
- Ability to take initiative, communicate effectively
- Must have a positive attitude and be a team player
- Broad interest in real-time rendering technologies and art asset creation tools
- Experience in managing real-time rendering, run-time analytics, optimization, shaders and materials
- Able to present (internally and externally) clear vision of how work addresses problems and requirements
- Able to envision creative ways to leverage ideas and technologies, and integrate big picture through multiple mediums
- Ability to take the responsibility of a large project’s workflow.
- Ability to familiarize with programs, technical concepts, ideas and problems very quickly.
- Ability to work within boundaries to creatively solve art issues.
BONUS: Passionate about VR and experience working with it.
If interested, please contact me at email@example.com with your contact information, resume, and portfolio.