Detailed paint job on the landscape, similar to Blizzard.

Hi all.
For quite some time now I have been looking for a way that would allow me to paint on the landscape without any special restrictions in terms of detail.
I really like the style of the World of Warcraft game, where most of the work with the environment is done manually: mountains, rocks, paths and many other elements are painted by hand, which makes the locations and the environment in general quite unique and fabulous.
In Unreal Engin, detail is limited to landscape vertices, the default size of which is meter by meter.
You can, of course, make the scale of the landscape smaller by reducing the distance between the vertices, but in this case, sculpting mountains, rocks and everything else turns into hell, since lags begin due to too high detail.
Yes, of course you can use, for example, a height map and many other methods to get a detailed texture, but if I paint everything by hand, I will have much more control, I can add details in specific places, make them stylized and stuff like that.
Recently I was delving into the Unity engine, where I noticed exactly the function that is not in Unreal Engine. Unity allows you to set the resolution of the landscape texture regardless of its geometric mesh.
Well, to be honest, I’m a little desperate because I’ve looked through a lot of material and haven’t found a way that would allow me to implement this in Unreal Engine. I think I would even pay if someone implemented this feature :slight_smile:
If there are people here who somehow solved this problem or found a workaround, then please share it :slight_smile:
Here are some screenshots to give you an idea of ​​what I mean:

Thanks everyone!

If you’re looking for painting more textural detail on your landscape than landscape material layers allows for, your best bet is to look into using Runtime Virtual Textures instead.
You could put planes or whatever in the world and set them to write to the RVT and paint on them with the Mesh Paint tool, and then the Landscape just uses the RVT instead of the layers.

PrismaticaDev on Youtube has a pretty good tutorial that covers some of the setup for this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=momc4h5J19Y