Destroy character on collision with first-person projectile

Hello all. I have created a project using the first-person template, and have created an AI character that follows the player, according to this tutorial:

In my case, the character is a round, virus-looking object. It is a character blueprint with a skeletal mesh applied.

I want to make it so that when the projectile launched from the gun hits the character, the character is destroyed. I have attempted numerous different blueprint set-ups, but have not been able to make this happen as of yet.

At the moment, the projectile seems to pass right through the character, rather than interact with it in any way.

Another question is that I have 5 of these characters in the level. How could I make it so that an event (such as changing to another level) is triggered when all 5 are destroyed.

Any assistance is much appreciated!

Have the projectile apply enough damage to one hit kill. On the character do X when health < 0.0.

1. Check collision settings for the projectile. Set to block all.
  2. How is the projectile moving?

Each character should have a dispatcher that is called when health < 0.0. Have GameMode get all character and bind to said dispatcher. Keep track of how many times the bound event is called, when its == to the amount of characters then all have been destroyed.

Hello, thank you for the advice, but I am still confused on exactly how to destroy the character.

I currently have this in the character’s blueprint:

But I have no idea why the ‘Destroy Actor’ is not working.

I am relatively new to Unreal Engine, so maybe I am missing something?

Thank you for your assistance!

Hey. Sorry I missed your last reply. Have any questions?

If you are attempting to destroy the character you are controlling the destroy call is probably being prevented.
Usually uou have to unposses - and even if you maybe don’t anymore, its best practice to do so.

1 Like