Designer Friendly Quest System

This only works with UE4 4.6 Currently
Welcome!

I’ve been working on a way to make it easier for designers to create quests that they can Quickly customize. I’m still in the early stages of creating the system and quests. But… I have recently finished the beginning building blocks the system will use, so I have decided to share it. This I hope will allow me to get some feedback to help decide what to do next with it, and gauge the interest in this system.

Here is a quick intro video going over what the current version can do.
Current Version: V.0.3
V.0.3 Video:

This section will be updated frequently

What is included with V.0.1
1.BP_QuestGiver_Template - is setup so it can be duplicated and re-named, then change the skeletal meshed used, and then update a few sections in the Blueprint to work with Quests.
2.BP_CollectItem_Template - is setup so it can be duplicated and re-named, then change static mesh and should work with little to no changes in Blueprint
3.Int_Quest_Template - is used to call events from QuestGiver -> Objective (BP_CollectItem_template) this is setup to be duplicated and re-named, then update inside BP_QuestGiver_Template and added into the Interface messages.

V.0.1
I have heavily commented this current build to help with understanding of how it works. You can download the blueprints here:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B20xBPJ4pGkzQktXU0VCYWt4V3c&usp=sharing

You can view the following video to view how to edit and add in another Quest Giver, and different items to collect.

Updated V.0.2
I have finished what I’ve planned on finishing for V.0.2. you can download it here:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B20xBPJ4pGkzcDEzUFJoZ1gtQXM&usp=sharing

What is included with V.0.2
Features

1. Everything from the previous build, and removed extra folders and re-arranged folders.
  2. From V.0.1 I have added a 2nd quest that will start after you finish Quest 1. This quest will spawn in collect items at target points once started.
  3. Added a second Quest Giver (QG_Dialogue), that will ask the player to choose between quests to activate and display a dialogue using UMG
  4. Updated the blueprint comments, so anything commented in red is what will need to be replaced/updated when duplicated.
  5. QG_Dialogue’s Text’s strings are editable from the details window, so the designer doesn’t need to go into BP to change it.

What is included with V.0.3
Features

1. Everything from the previous build
  2. Early setup for how the next few quest givers will be, that has simplified everything!
  3. QG_NC Allows you to set how many spawn points will be used, in the Details pan! Same for the** Collect Item!**
  4. QG_NC isn’t finished but I wanted to post the progress since It’s a lot simpler.

Download link:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B20xBPJ4pGkzM1hjWnpnN3RlZUU&usp=sharing

Thanks for your time, and please let me know what you think!

• Hawk -

your whole video got muted might want to try to upload to youtube

Yeah I noticed that last night when making this thread, left a comment in my post that it’s muted. Video can help a bit by following along what I’m adding/deleting until I can get a youtube video up. I should have an updated post today with a youtube video to replace the twitch video. Thanks for letting me know :slight_smile:

-Hawk-

no problem i plan to test your system out my self since i was going to have to make a quest system. but since you got one out to share ill test it and report back any bugs i might find :slight_smile: So far though i like how you have it set up! good job :slight_smile:

Alright I have added a quick video to explain what the system currently is at V.0.1. I have also added in a video showing you how to duplicate the templates so you can add more Quest Givers, a new collection item into the game, and what needs to be changed in the blueprints. I kind of go over everything fast, because I’m short on time today. So if anyone has questions or if I miss something you wanted to know, please ask! Also, I’m glad you like how it’s setup so far :smiley:

Thanks,
-Hawk-
(P.S. I’ll be out of town until next week so won’t be able to add more features or make any videos, I’ll try to reply to questions and comments when I can.)

V.0.2 Preview: Spawning Collection Quest

I had a little extra time today then normally planned, so I started to work on the next version. With the next version the plan will be to have three or four quests. I also did a quick video preview for the next iteration. You can view the preview here:

-Hawk-

good stuff man. you should try to get it so that quest can be chosen also switch the print string for a text variable so it can be called easier in the widgets and can be set up in the quest defaults that would stream line this a bit. so that way you can type in dialog to go with the quest easier then trying to type it out in the node it self.

I was going to work on setting up a HuD for V.0.3. But I’ll work on that next instead after thinking about it. Especially since all people will need to do for making enemies is change the on overlap function to on take damage and change mesh to enemy skeleton.

I already have ideas for the HUD, so I should have a early version of it up next week after I get back from my trip.

sounds good cant wait to test it out!

Looks great! I was making a questing system of my own but this looks like you’ve found a way to simplify it a good deal… Will download soon. I’ll probably use it for my project.

Edit: I this only compatible with 4.6? I can’t get these BPs to show up in 4.5.1

These were created in 4.6, and I haven’t checked to see if they work with previous builds yet. If you’re running in anything other then 4.6 it’s possible that it will not work/show up correctly in the previous builds. I’ll look into things to see if there is a way to get it to work if that’s the case.

Yeah, it appears to only work in 4.6. On that note though, you have a lot of arrays set up in there that use Object as their type. I might recommend making them use Actor so they are compatible with more of the nodes.

Yeah, I’ll add the 4.6 part to my first post so others will know before trying. I’ll also play around with setting it up to use actors, for the V.0.3. Thanks for the feedback Ray!

Also invayne, I have a majority of the select quest portion done. I still need to tweak a few things, comment, and clean up the blueprint before I update the files to V.0.2

It should be possible to make enemies by making them a Child Actor Component of the Objective Item blueprint. Haven’t tested it though.

I will look into that as well Ray. I’m still fairly new to the blueprint side of things in UE4 and learning as I make this. So feedback like this is very helpful since it gives me more stuff to look into to that could help simplify this system. So thanks for all the feedback so far :smiley:

On another note!
I have updated the opening post with the following information.
Updated V.0.2
I have finished what I’ve planned on finishing for V.0.2. you can download it here:

What is included with V.0.2
Features

1. Everything from the previous build, and removed extra folders and re-arranged folders.
  2. From V.0.1 I have added a 2nd quest that will start after you finish Quest 1. This quest will spawn in collect items at target points once started.
  3. Added a second Quest Giver (QG_Dialogue), that will ask the player to choose between quests to activate and display a dialogue using UMG
  4. Updated the blueprint comments, so anything commented in red is what will need to be replaced/updated when duplicated.
  5. QG_Dialogue’s Text’s strings are editable from the details window, so the designer doesn’t need to go into BP to change it.

What to expect for V.0.3?
For the next build I plan on…

1. simplifying everything more, and hopefully remove a lot of the stuff that needs to be replaced/updated. I’ve been given some things to look into by Ray Jones 312 that should help.
  2. I have some other ideas of how to place things, that may or may not work that I’ll be trying out as well.
  3. Make some stuff look prettier (cough UMG/Hud cough)

Thanks for this!

No problem! Try to keep this post followed so you can get any updates. I don’t plan on giving this a break until I feel like it’s as friendly as possible! :slight_smile:

Re-Updating V.0.2! For Great Reason!

I was just about to call it quits for the night when I stumbled upon some info, that I was looking into due to Ray’s feedback. Which…Made this very easy to use/duplicate!

I think a lot of you will like this newer version of V.0.2. Also if you did grab the previous one, please for your own sake grab this new one. It will save you a lot of time.

Update V.0.2

Also as a warning, make sure that you have the Array Filter correct otherwise you will crash the engine when you run/play/simulate. If you follow the Red comment box’s it will help you make sure you got everything. Also always make sure to save, in-case you miss something.

V.0.3 Is up!

The newest version is up, it’s V.0.3 and with the new update and how simplified it has made things for QG_NC, I have updated the 1st post’s video to show it off.

You can view the showing off, of how the new QG_NC works here:
http://youtu.be/CuNJ7mL2o6E?list=PL0CWbFZKXCMxiqmNgk1PzORkS6XTqmbOT

You can view how easy/and quick it is to duplicate in the video here:
http://youtu.be/NaEzqY4aXWM?list=PL0CWbFZKXCMxiqmNgk1PzORkS6XTqmbOT

I have also updated the first post with the following information.

What is included with V.0.3
Features

1. Everything from the previous build
  2. Early setup for how the next few quest givers will be, that has simplified everything!
  3. QG_NC Allows you to set how many spawn points will be used, in the Details pan! Same for the** Collect Item!**
  4. QG_NC isn’t finished but I wanted to post the progress since It’s a lot simpler.

Download link:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B20xBPJ4pGkzM1hjWnpnN3RlZUU&usp=sharing

Thanks for your time, and feedback!
Hope to hear more from others about what they think of it so far :slight_smile:

Thanks
-Hawk-

your doing a very good job man cant wait to see the kill quest version