Depth of Field Layers not working

I see Depth of Field and the associated Visualizing DoF layers in my project, but when I check checkbox, nothing changes in my viewport… Any suggestions?

Hi did you ever figure this out? I’m having the same issue in 4.25. Thanks

Yes. I had to toggle the scalable off to display higher quality graphics like depth of field.

Hi, can you explain your solution a bit more? Where is “the scalable” you toggled off? And the scalable what? It doesn’t sound like Engine Scalability Settings, because those can’t be turned “off”, just turned down, and that sacrifices quality

When you create your project, there is an option for Maximum Quality or Scalable 3d or 2d. In my case I had set the project to Scalable. This disabled Depth of Field. It also put a yellow Scalable toggle button in my viewport on the upper left side. When I clicked it to turn off Scalable, my Depth of Field worked.

You can also find the Scalability settings in the Settings menu above the viewport.

I ended up messing around with those settings for a while, but no matter what I did to the viewport settings, it didn’t change. Eventually, I discovered that you can use ShowFlag.SF_DepthOfField in the console and it’ll work for a camera preview window on a cine camera placed in the game world. Very odd I couldn’t get DOF visualizer to work in the viewport though.

Ultimately, working with the cine camera trying to control DOF like you could with Gaussian blur is such a giant pain in the ■■■, I made the decision to drop the feature entirely. Thanks for the info!

@wisedragon thanks so much for your answers here. If I could press you once more…

I’m having the same issue (no discernible DoF; DoF visualization yields no result), but can’t find a check box for ‘scalability.’ The scalability in the settings menu above the viewport gives me the option to turn everything up to ‘cinematic’ but I can’t find an option to turn scalability off entirely. There’s no checkbox for this in my viewport, or anywhere searchable in project, world, or editor settings. I’d appreciate any further insight. Thanks for your time!

Make Sure you are only changing the DOF with something like 1 and then move up slowly from there. I was moving the slider all the way to the right thinking it would really blur but it was the opposite. If you go all the way to the left to zero you will not see any DOF either.