Deploying a WindowsServer

Hello,

I wanted to create a simple project with multiplayer functionality. So I’ve set up a third person example with blueprints and got to researching how to make a dedicated server.
I found some tutorials for player-hosted mutliplayer in blueprint, but I wanted to deploy a dedicated server. I found a way of launching a dedicated server for my project, by starting UE4Editor.exe with commands: “E:\Unreal Projects\TestGame\TestGame.uproject” ThirdPersonExampleMap -server -log -nosteam
This worked, and even kept working with deployed versions of the project, outside of editor. This suggests to me that this functionality exists in the engine natively, and I’m missing an option to deploy it - including all the files from the project seems rather stupid to me.

First you need to download the engine source files from GitHub and build the engine with Visual Studio. Then you can use the project launcher and pack a Windows Server version. That Server version will only include what is necessary to run a server.

Afterwards you then pack a Windows Client version which the Clients obviously needs to use.