Delete a level w/reference to worldgrid material

There seems to be tons of people having reference problems for tons of reason im hoping theres an expert out there that can help me with this last step,

I’m trying to delete a level thats not used anymore but still says it has a reference the reference is the WorldGridMaterial

Here you can see the references remaining to the map that’s literally used for nothing

i am unable to simple click “Break This Link” which would be ideal and I’ve put in a feature request for such a thing as others have done in 2020 and possibly earlier

I’ve done “Fix up redirectors” so many times I’ve lost count just praying maybe it’ll be possible to delete without making broken references

If there’s an unreal veteran or employee that can tell me how to delete an unused level that would be great or somehow you figured it out as a “Newbie” you deserve a massive award of accomplishment

if your having the same problem and can’t even get down to one reference like shown i’ll do my best to help you get it there

There’s Nothing deleteable in the level itself as far as im aware

^ see level outliner here

Please send help i don’t want this extra bloat/garbage to end up in my packaged game

1 Like

I don’t think it matters. It would matter if you wanted to remove ‘world grid material’, because it’s being referenced. But you only want to remove the level, and it’s not referenced, so you should be able to remove it?

2 Likes

Hey there @Nightwolf483! I agree with Clockwork here, that if you delete the level, the reference still wouldn’t matter in editor. If you aren’t including that world in your build, nothing from it will be packaged anyway. Though since the world grid material is actually an engine component that’s used as a fallback for textures, that’ll be packaged in any case as the fallback texture if I remember correctly.

1 Like

Did something similar where i thought it would be fine and would just have to pick new references/assets

im gonna backup my project and try this today and ill post back here and mark this as the answer if true

it’s more that i’m disappointed you cant just delete whatever you want and either have it automatically be fine or have a tool that comes up when packaging that says for example

M_Landscape is missing/can’t be found do you want to remove it from everything it’s used in or replace it with something else

this kind of exists when deleting stuff but when packaging it just throws out a bunch of missing/callstack errors

if you wanted to just delete FirstPersonCharacter for example beacuse you realised maybe my games better third person it would have an absolute fit when packaging and just fail instead of asking what references you want to delete/replace

and this one kinda makes sense but you also can’t just use the file explorer to delete things because then you have twice the problems

also the reference viewer is just a viewer unless i don’t know how to use it, you can’t remove any of the links it’s either grayed out or just doesn’t do it despite having the option to remove/delete connections

My solution is to just make a daily backup and if i lose the work of a day it’s not so bad and maybe i can copy stuff from the broken one if it’s something easily copyable anyway

TLDR thanks for help ill let you know

If A → B, you can’t remove B, but you can remove A, no problem.

Yes, right. But it does tell you what is connected to what. In the case you quoted here, it’s ok to remove the level ( as long as you do it in the content browser, not in windows ).

I’d love to know how to safely delete anything if you know
the only way ive found so far is restoring a backup or going in and having to delete every single thing thats deletable for example i had to completely remove the landscape and every other thing in the level and set the game mode to something else and it still just says i’m force deleting something instead of just deleting it when it shoudn’t matter like you and clockwork said

That’s the part i think i was missing on how the references were working thank you

1 Like

The solution marked was the most helpful to me, but technically this is the answer to the question asked, you were right of course, Deleting the map made no difference because it was A
A->B

1 Like