DefaultPlatformService?

I know in general, to prevent errors this needs to be set to NULL … and it seems you can set it to steam if you have/use the steam sdk, and have a greenlit project so they will give you a steam application ID.

Are there any other options?

Just wondering because I can test locally with the game set to LAN, and servers show up and all. I can shift to NOT lan on a client and refresh and still see the same server on my lan. So really what I am trying to figure out is the difference between LAN and internet for starting a session, joining a session, etc. It seems there would need to be a master server of some sort (ie steam if you have a green lit project) …

Is there actually a different DefaultPlatformService setting that I am not finding, or is it simply a matter that if we do not use steam, we must make our own master server and code our own service interface to interact with it?

Thanks

Everytime I hit this area I find some basic documentation seems to be missing. For IOS you set it to IOS, otherwise I’m not sure. Did you find anything?

No. It seems to be (for PC) either Steam or NULL, so you use Steam for master server to list your server when you host, or build your own.

The online subsystem is what connects unreal to that specific online service. Steam to use steam, for session making, etc. Live, for xbox apps. etc. etc. The entire concept of a “Session” is that you have multiple people logged into the same online service. And you are using that service to put them into the same game with information stored in the session.

IF you write your own, which is a multi month project, then you will also need to provide your own online service, (several years), and convince people to use YOUR new service, (probably never.). SO I would not recommend it.