Default physical material BUG on landscape patches

For everyone new to this post !
What you may need to do is :

1. Go to your landscape collision settings.

2. Set “Simple Collision Mip Level” to a value more than “Collision Mip Level”, example : “Collision Mip level = 0”,
    “Simple Collision Mip level = 1” (Simply doing that worked for me).

Voilà.

I know this is an old thread, but I figured I’d share my own findings on the current version.

The landscape materials seems to ignore the Phys Material selected in both the details panel and within the landscape material itself. Instead you need to go to the Layer Info and change the Phys Material there.
If you don’t know how to find the Layer Info then go into the Landscape paint tool, find the layer you want to set the Phys Material and click “find in browser” and it will direct you to the folder where all these Layer Infos are stored.

Something i just discovered today. After playing around with all the aforementioned settings. I realized that I had multiple Materials in my content browser and that i simply did not set the Phyiscal Material in their corresponding location. If you used painted materials and material blending to achieve your landscape like I did, then this may help you.

This worked for me as well but there’s more to it.
After following your instructions, my landscape was using the correct physical material, but when I changed the physical material again, it didn’t update. I realised that you just need to change the “Simple Collision Mip Level” to anything other than what it was. Once that value updates, the landscape will update to the new physical material.

So in other words:

1. Assign your landscape a physical material.
  2. Go to your landscape collision settings.
  3. Change “Simple Collision Mip Level” to a new value to “lock in” your physical material.

I went to check and yes, you’re right !
Each time you update your physical material you also need to update the landscape collision settings !
Thanks for sharing this !