Decreasing DeltaTime in Fixed FrameRate

Hi everyone,
When running in fixed frame-rate mode, is there a limit to how small DeltaTime can be (or in other words, how large the constant frame-rate can be) ? I’m trying to set the frame-rate to a very large number and it always sets it to 2000 instead (I get DeltaTime = 0.0005 but I’m trying to set it to a much smaller value).

Is there a way to remove this limit ?

I’m working on a simulator based on Unreal and I’m trying to compute some temporal effect very accurately just to estimate my error when running with higher DelatTime (lower frame-rate). This is not just for the Physics, I also need to perform line traces and calculate collisions in this short time intervals.

Thanks,

Yan

Have you tried using the Slomo command?

It works ! Thanks !
It still requires me to make some changes to my C++ code.
An easier solution would be to just remove this limit on DeltaTime. Is there an option to change this in project settings ?

Yes It worked! Thank you !
I’m still hoping there is some setting you can change.

It seems the reason for this limitation is related to the fact the Unreal physics works with floats. It is meant to avoid situations where you add two floating-point number with more that 6 orders of magnitude difference, in which case, the roundoff error will be too large. For example. if delta_t=1e-6, even at high speeds like 100 Km/h, the change in position would be so small (<1e-6 cm) that a position (x,y,z)=(10000 cm, 0, 0) will accumulate a large error when update. If I’m not mistaken, when the difference is 8 orders of magnitude, the position will not be updated at all.