Decent (but not mega expensive) PC for UE5 dev

Hi,
I am not a game coder, I am an artist.

Years ago i got into making basic small gameplay maps using UE4.

All I want to do is build spaces, whether an outside environment, an inner city environment or a small UT style enclosed map, maybe set inside a spaceship, moon-base or whatever or a small inner city area map etc

I don’t want to go MEGA deep, but i want it to work fairly smoothly WITHOUT big waiting times for functions to draw or compile or whatever

what PC do I need please?

thanks

What’s your budget?

Hi mate, well obviously best i can get for the money. As I said, i just want reasonable smoothness to keep the vibe going, not big waits and stuttering etc.

So i guess what i’m asking is what’s the core base setup you can get away with, but that is NOT constantly frustrating to use.

i can build my own from parts obviously. doesn’t have to be off the peg

cheers

reasonable smoothness to keep the vibe going, not big waits

Well put!

That is the question - what is the money? Is your budget $500 or $2500?

sorry mate, notifications not working for this forum (I’m sure i set them on)

thanks for the reply anyways

well i realise a smooth & capable GPU card is going to be about a grand… correct?

Other stuff i’ve sorta picked up in recent months while not really investigating seems to say get a threadripper cpu

then there’s the board & ram, perhaps the least costly bit

and the ssd which apparently is a must now

i used to try to do stuff with UE4 on my iMac (quad core) and it was fine until you tried to do bigger outdoor spaces then it got bogged down & stuff you added like grass & trees etc had no real detail at all. But i could make quite detailed UT maps using BSP objects (BSP? It’s been a while) and textures added to them, lights, etc

but it;s the outdoors, more realistic stuff I;d like to try and make

cheers