DECEMBER GAME JAM: Theme: WHAT'S IN THE BOX?

Just so I’m clear… we can use any content that’s free on the marketplace? So is it fine if I make my game out of pieces from say, the elemental demo, vehicle game example, any materials from the game textures pack, and/or anything from the content examples from epic? We can use pieces from any of these for our game, correct?

nice video electricsauce, first thing I thought of, but looks like you are at least capable of making it, lol.
and I bet we’re not alone, good luck tho’, looks like you got a good headstart.

Of course like I said, I’m not even going in that direction. Don’t even know if I can even catch up now because of a late start. Either way, it would take me too long to make all those assets.

again good luck

raventip, you can check the other event posts, I think that’s been asked several times, but yeah you can.
(check the posts though, I don’t want to be accountable)

but I use them and anything free of copyrights if I need them.

also they posted some rules this run, there’s a link at the top of the page for that.

So, how’s doing so far? Y’all should post some updates on Twitter using the #ue4jam hashtag! It’s Screenshot Saturday, you know you want to :wink: Keep it up!

buried in my 'puter, altho not sure it’ll do much good, still trying :wink:

I be jammin’ mon’
(get it jam -> jammin’ lol)

Most of the assets were sourced from other demo projects. The tree is free from speed tree right now.

@electricsauce

well you sure put them together in a nice layout, looks good :wink:

I like SpeedTree, but can’t handle all these subscriptions right now.
But don’t you have to own or sub speedtree to be able to use any of their assets in UE4? And do you have to use Visual Studio to build UE4 to use it, like a plug-in or something? I was under the impression that ya did.

You don’t need to have a subscription to use the trees, just to modify them. They have a couple of freebies on their site that you can use.

Il cubo

Author :
Name of the Submission: “Il Cubo”

Hi , my name is and I am for most a programmer.
I really loved to try this jam and put my abilities under pressure.It was changeling to make everything by my hand, from modeling to animations, to Shaders building, to the actual programming.
This project is minimal, since making a game within 3 days is a hard work, and to be honest I have even less time due to work duty to accomplish on the weekend as well.
For the theme I felt inspired a lot from the movie “The Cube” (1997), I thought that was a good idea to replicate the environment, since it is just a wall to model and repeat and snap the process to create the entire level.

The tricky part comes when all the rooms have to communicate each other’s.

The game is about the fact you are trapped inside this system (“What’s in the box?” ,yourself lol), and you have to find your way out to unlock this cage.

Controls:
W: Move Forward
A: Move Left
D : Move Right
S: Move Backwards

Left Mouse Click: Open Doors

I tested the game on Windows 8.
Link of the playable submission:

Gameplay Video:
[video][/video]

In game pictures:

Edit: Re-reading the rules of the contest I figured out that I am breaking the third part point using a soundtrack without the official permission. So I’m re-uploading the project unfortunately without any cool sci-fi music in background. :frowning:

really nice looking, Maximvm, great concept

although I’m disturbed that you are already done with 1 day 9 hours to go, while I look at the mess of stuff I still have to do. lol :slight_smile:

friggin’ awesome video, I’m already scared!
but you are too nice, I would have made the doors close behind the player as you got in the room just to be mean & to disorient the lol -> ‘Victim’

WOW Maximvm good work, I like the concept, the art and the music. Congrats. I decided to not participate this time because I couldn’t think of anything. I’ll be checking out the games posted though.

Hi all, just wanted to showcase some WIP assets from our little game. Everything is being built from scratch, PigArt’s work was an inspiration for the visual style though.

://i.imgur/meYa1UZ.png

Thanks very much, unfortunately for the music, I figured out too late that I was breaking the third part rule. It was very cool music and kept me inspired while building the level, but legally I do not own the rights to put in there even if it’s a no-profit project. I do not have the time and I actually don’t know very well how it works on make partnership between music artists and game, so for now I’m re-uploading the project without background music. :slight_smile:

Here’s my project.

https://lh4.googleusercontent/-RIaXRMbas9Y/VI4EQ9DFfZI/AAAAAAAAC9Q/IPYPyqY4d0s/w1267-h725-no/Dec_GJ_WhatsInTheBox.png

You’re a toddler that wants to find out what’s under the tree.

WASD to move
Space to jump
L Click to Pick up objects
R Click to throw

Don’t get caught!

Most of the assets are from the example projects along with a few that I made myself. The sounds are mostly from freesound and open game art, all CC0. The hardest part of this challenge for me was getting the objects to spawn correctly with the destructible meshes.

This is a fun theme. Can we use content from the example projects like the content examples project? I’d like to use that U4 medallion from the startup map.

Yes, you can use the assets from the marketplace :slight_smile:

It actually isn’t listed in the marketplace but rather in the learn tab. I don’t know what the rules are about that stuff in general.

@JW - Yep!

Deadline is in American time I suppose.

Since I’m in the UK, what time would I need to submit my entry? Not sure about time zones and all

written in slight panic

part of my marketing strategy, here’s a teaser

://i.imgur/xavZvo7.jpg