Decals with tessellation for terrains?

Hello guys! Im making a little research, but i need some help.
I want to make a good terrain.
I sculpt a cool terrain and all that stuff, but i dont want make all the textures look the same, tiled and boring.
So i have tought about doing some decals that will be only normal maps and the most important, tessellation to make terrain variation looks amazing.
But when i tried this, i saw that tessellation is off for decails.
Any idea?

I’ve been thinking of other option… What about painting the terrain with vertex painting and putting over an invisible layer with the “decals” of terrain variations etc, will it work?
Thanks everyone! :slight_smile:

“I’ve been thinking of other option… What about painting the terrain with vertex painting and putting over an invisible layer with the “decals” of terrain variations etc, will it work?”

This blew my mind.

Yeah you could make this invisible layer anywhere you want to fix looks temporarily.

For a permanent solution instead of decals cut up your map into squares like a board game How to design the ULTIMATE wargaming terrain - YouTube then change texture’s as needed. The idea is to bake in the textures you want to change. Bit by bit you can vary the look by making instanced material parameters.