Dear Epic, Please Update Marketplace Products

I guess the new seller portal only show the packs submitted with it.

#41, the seller portal only shows packs submitted with it. There is a large backlog of packs submitted manually. We’re sorting out how to best accelerate those and should have a status update soon-ish (today or early next week).

#34, some more updates…

A) We’d like to have an automated updating process, but haven’t built one yet. (The process is a bit complex because of the way content is propagated to CDNs across all of our services). This is something we want to have in the future.

1. There was a specific failure internally here which led to losing track of a batch of submissions. We’ve fixed and don’t think it will happen again.

2. We’re scheduling a meeting here to get the team together and simplify the file/folder requirements and TRCs, to strike a new balance between seller flexibility and buyer ease of use.

3. We’ve reworked our review process to handle submissions in-order. There will be some variance due to the time required to review each one and the schedules, but it should be much more ordered than previously.

4. We’re ramping up the team to accelerate this, and the new seller portal reduces the work required by the team to handle each review.

5. We’ll have a marketplace representative online in the forums regularly starting shortly.

The forums don’t have granular control over features by user, so a lot of the decisions made there have to work for the most common case, and the team feels that the uneditable subject fields are the right default as with e.g. Reddit. The general concern is that users are hesitant to post in forums if a small number of griefers alter thread contexts in a way that misconstrues their posts or participation.

Like Jon mentioned, last release includes 27 products. Let’s break it down:

10 products from Immersive Estate
3 products from SoundBits
2 products from Taylor Brook Music
And the other 12 products out the 27 are from different sellers.

Just a short while ago an entire release cycle was cluttered with about 12 icon packs from one person.
While there are lots of people waiting for many months to just get 1 product out there, we usually see entire release cycles being dominated by some individuals every now and then. How can one person submit +10 products, get them all approved by the staff, and see them all released together, but 90% of us who submit 2 products together either one or both of them fail or at best one gets released 2 months later and the other a month after that. There should be an explanation for this but we’re rather interested in more fair reviews. Handpicking should be stopped and reviews should lean more towards first in first out.

Thanks for taking care of the mentioned issues.
We still think editing thread subjects is a crucial feature specially for us as our threads are basically the only channel provided by Epic where we can engage with our audience. Updating subjects such as letting people know there’s an update, a discount, a poll etc. is our only way of raising awareness for those who are browsing the otherwise they wouldn’t know and wouldn’t enter the threads.

Sure there are forums and there are people who try to abuse each other or dodge issues by editing their subjects and posts. But this community is more like Polycount.com and less like Reddit. We’re mostly professionals here who have been around for years, despite a large number of people registering on these boards everyday, most of the people who post on these forums know each other for a long time.

In fact people have been “always” able to edit their post contents since the beginning, just not the thread subjects. But no abuse has ever happened with editing our own post contents because we’re mostly mature about it.

Mine of info. thanks for sharing! :slight_smile:

so we now have a brand new seller portal. Awesome. I must be one of the publisher with the highest amount of packs available on the UE4 Marketplace (84) but I can only see 24 products listed… is there a way you guys can add some additional pages and stuff or a way to display products as a list / smaller icons / bigger icons? Maybe I’m missing something but I can’t edit any of the 60 remaining products. trying to update the compatibility to 4.17…
Edit: ok I just noticed that sort of arrow icon on the bottom right corner of the page. It extended the page to show 48 products… but I would still need to have access to the 36 remaining…

Hello everyone. I wanted to step in and let you know that we’re hearing your feedback and taking steps to improve the Marketplace. I manage Epic’s Unreal Engine Support team, and Marketplace operations now falls under that department.

We know that there are a lot of opportunities to improve the Marketplace for all developers, and we’re taking steps to do that quickly:

• We’ve updated the submission review process and shared the UE Marketplace Technical Review Checklist (TRC) to help submissions be more successful.
  • We’re also going to review the TRC again next week to identify what can be further simplified to ensure that our guidelines are reasonable and straightforward.
  • Yesterday, we introduced the new Seller Portal. Thanks to those of you who have already provided feedback, and we look forward to learning more ways we can improve the tool to your advantage.
  • We’ve recently increased the number of team members who are conducting Marketplace reviews by cross-training all members of the Engine Support Team, and we are also growing the overall size of the support team.

However, we recognize that these steps don’t have an immediate discernible impact on wait times, or the fact that our sellers feel left in the dark. We’re currently working through a severe backlog, and even with added resources we haven’t put as much of a dent in it as we would like. We’re continuing to evaluate our process and streamlining our workflows to have quicker turnaround, all while immediately allocating more staff to burn down our backlog.

If you’re currently waiting, please know that you’re in the queue and we haven’t lost track of your submission. We do try to conduct reviews as first in/first out, but sometimes exceptions occur and we’re working to be more consistent.

In the next few days, we’ll be reaching out to sellers who have items waiting on staging or for review with instructions on how to leverage the new Seller Portal to speed up the process without losing your spot in the review line.

Finally, we recognize that this community currently feels neglected, and we’re actively working to improve that. I’m going to start having a public presence here, and while I won’t be able to engage folks on each and every issue, I’ll do my best to address the main concerns that the community has.

All of us at Epic appreciate your participation in the Marketplace, and we believe we’ll be able to quickly make this a better experience for you and also for those using your items here.

Josh

The fact that you were assigned to overlook this process and the fact that you actively admit the problems present here are already huge steps compared to what happened (is happening) with the Unreal Tournament project (and I’ve pointed this out to at least one other member of the UE4 team, in private, a while ago). I can only hope you (as a company) are wise enough to learn from the massive failure of the UT team regarding community relationships and finally manage to put the company on the same ascending path that it went on in 2014, after making the source public and switching to the royalty model.

I don’t do much as a moderator, but I can tell everyone that the other moderators who are more active definitely have to deal with a lot already and are doing a pretty good job of it. Because they work hard, I don’t really have to. Although I don’t do much, I can guarantee if everyone was able to edit thread titles themselves, we would need to increase the number of moderators quite a bit.

One thing I do actively do however is handle marketplace title request changes, as almost all of my activity is within the Marketplace section. If you need to change a title, please send me a message here or on Discord or on Twitter. Also you can send a message to any moderator and they should be able to handle your request. If you’ve sent messages and haven’t gotten a response in 3 business days, you can ‘report’ your thread and request a title change there. Please, please don’t use the report mechanism as your first go-to method.

Just to return on the initial topic: I sent on August 11th an update of a code plugin for UE4.17 compatibility, still no answer from the marketplace team as of today. Customers are complaining both on the forums and on the marketplace page. I don’t know what to answer to them… What should I communicate?

Tell them the truth, that epic is as slow as Christmas. :stuck_out_tongue:

Apparently people are refunding assets because they are not 4.17 yet the reason assets are not 4.17 is epic’s fault. Should epic not stop refunds until this mess gets sorted. People are literally stealing assets right now by abusing the current MP problems. This should be dealt with ASAP from the very top of Epic Games.

Exactly how you engage with your customers is up to you, but it’s certainly fair to let them know that the Marketplace team has a backlog of reviews and that we’re taking multiple steps to conduct these reviews quickly and that we’re working to streamline this process for the future. Unfortunately, I don’t have an ETA for you, your customers, or other sellers about how quickly we’ll catch up.

Josh

There shouldn’t be any refunds going on without seller notification of the issue, and unless the reason falls under the acceptable criteria in the guidelines. A lack of 4.17 updates are not the sellers fault if they sent it in during the required time frame.

All refunds due to not being updated should be refunded OUT OF EPIC"S PORTION OF REVENUE if the update was already submitted but Epic hasn’t processed it.

It shouldn’t have even been processed without:

1. Notifying the seller of the refund request per the refund policy

2. Upon making contact with the seller, the seller would have informed the staff that they sent in the updates long ago and are waiting for them to go live and or the staff checks to see if an update for the product is in the queue.

If Epic is refunding products for this, that is beyond unacceptable. This is not in the sellers control, and we shouldn’t be punished for it. Furthermore if they are not contacting sellers about refund requests that is a breach of their own policy. That is *very *concerning.

I’ve had several refunds before and have never once been contacted by Epic.

I’ll look into our refund process on Tuesday and follow up on this thread.

Thanks. Your continued presence in this thread is much appreciated.

Just my 2 cents but if we could see a daily tally of how many assets had been reviewed and how many are currently in the cue we as a community would get a sense of how large the issue is and also the rate of progress that is being accomplished. I admit not all of us are rocket scientists but basic math 101 could be used on our end to give us an idea of what and when to expect asset approval/rejection. <waiting for Generic Shooter update>

It’d be ideal if the new portal show the position in queue instead of just saying “Pending” so we can actually see if it’s moving forward.

got to laugh, sorry, the fact that they “now” admit there’s a back log is a big step, but i doubt you’ll get an answer.

Sorry Epic but customers are waiting and i do hope that the sellers will find other options, whats happening atm is not good for anyone, hope you get it sort so that the few remaining people I help can carry on with their projects.