We have been steadily working on the game in the past weeks. Today I would like to share our progress.
I made five spears for the players, it is always challenging to come up with evolving designs for the weapons, but I’m quite happy with the results this time around.
And finally from Tier 1 through Tier 5.
I also assembled a small showcase of the various Tomb models in the game. We have 18 pieces that can be easily interchanged.
In our original vision we wanted the game to take part in a humongous graveyard, over time we expanded on this idea and added more elements that could fit in well with this theme e.g. gallows, bridges, a canal or a sacrificial pit. I think creating our “graveyard” truly is an ongoing process and there will be even more similar content added as we move on.
On the other hand, the programming has progressed as well. My good friend has thought of a very handy way to handle data in the game. He uses data tables, the idea is to basically create forms that can be modified quite easily to change various attributes in the game.
For example on this screenshot you can see how we can configure the difficulty of each enemy type in the game. We can define how many of them should spawn, how much health they should have, how fast they should move, which also automatically changes their animation playback speed as well and the list goes on.
What really makes this useful is that from now on whenever we create a new enemy we can just easily add it to the list, define these values and it’s ready to go.
Plus, in the very distant future, this system could also make it easier for modders to change difficulty settings, because they could just import their own versions of these data table files.
Naturally data tables can be used to store any type of data, not just the ones related to difficulty. We handle animations and the weapons that every character can equip in a similar fashion. With regards to weapons you can define each of their respective VFX, sound, damage amount etc.
All in all, this was quite a serious undertaking, and it required some workarounds on the way but we are happy with the results. Below you can find the texturing process for the spears, thanks for reading, if you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask.