Dbgeng.dll fails and crashes unreal with 100% repros

Hello everyone, I ended up facing the same problem and decided to describe some steps until I found the solution.

I’m part of a team that develops a project using 4.23. This error has never occurred before.
There was a need recently to start another VR project in parallel. For this project, we are using 5.3 with Meta Quest 2. I installed the Oculus program normally, configured Quest 2 and ran it normally on 5.3.
After that, I ran the project again in 4.23 and it started showing this error:

I need to click OK a few times and the project opens and runs normally after the error.

When searching online, I saw something related to Oculus. I uninstalled the program for it and restarted the PC.
The error described above no longer occurred.

As I need VR for another project, I decided to live with the error.

After a few days, I decided to research this error again and ended up finding this topic.

After reading @neekstudio message, I decided to try updating Visual Studio (I have 2017 due to the 4.23 project and 2022 due to the 5.3 project), but without success.

It was then that I read @Cosmo.Romeo1 message and tried to make this update using files from another version and got the following results:

1- I took the dbghelp.dll and dbghelp.tps files from 4.25 (located in the C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.25\Engine\Binaries\ThirdParty\DbgHelp folder on my PC) and placed them in the same folder as 4.23.

The same error described at the beginning of this post appeared. After clicking OK a few times, the project opened and ran normally.

2- I took the dbghelp.dll and dbghelp.tps files from 4.27 (located in the C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.27\Engine\Binaries\ThirdParty\DbgHelp folder on my PC) and placed them in the same folder as 4.23.

The error changed and the following message appeared.

After clicking OK a few times, the project opened and ran normally.

3- I took the dbghelp.dll and dbghelp.tps files from 5.2 (located in the C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.27\Engine\Binaries\ThirdParty\DbgHelp folder on my PC) and placed them in the same folder as 4.23.

The same error described in item 2 appeared. After clicking OK a few times, the project opened and ran normally.

4- I took the dbghelp.dll and dbghelp.tps files from 5.3 (located in the C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.27\Engine\Binaries\ThirdParty\DbgHelp folder on my PC) and placed it in the same folder as 4.23.

The project opened normally without showing errors.

If I compare the dbghelp.dll file from 4.23 with the same file from 5.3, there is a difference of approximately 848 KB more in 5.3.

Apparently the problem was solved with this action.

If I return or find another problem, I will post here again.

NOTE: what I find strange is that a friend of mine who works on the same projects with me, basically with the same equipment, didn’t have this problem.

2 Likes