Datasmith uninstall/install/repair/update not working

Hi,

After looking through other post on near-by issues it seems I’m stuck. For some reason I have an old Datasmith install (4.23.0.0) that I cannot delete/uninstall/repair. See image.

Downloaded the only Datasmith available similar: 4.23.E1 but as you see from the screengrab I get:

• Install error: “No supported version of Autodesk 3dsmax found”
  • Repair error: “This action is only valid for products that are currently installed”
  • Uninstall error: same as install error.

Then I try to download the latest Datasmith, in the hopes that it will install above or atleast run through the install process, but the installer throws this error (inst. Datasmith 5.0.0 for 3ds 2022): The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2718.

Normal uninstall in windows programs/features gives the 2718 error for uninstalling the old datasmith, so I have no option to force-remove this OR install the newest version.

My question: Is is possible that you guys can give me a list of entries for Datasmith 4.23.0.0 so I can manually delete them from the Registry? Any other solution or tips would be helpful aswell.

----- EDIT Solved with solution ----
Turns out some of the registry entrys for the old Datasmith were deleted. Fixed it by downloading this tool: Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed

Because one of the references deleted was the name entry, they appeared in the (in the diagnostics registry troubleshooter/linked software) list as ‘name not available’ but showed the {registry subkey}. Searching for this in the registry confirmed that it was the old version of Datasmith and running the above microsoft software uninstalled it. Installing the new Datasmith for UE5-max2022 now went through. yay!

T

6 Likes

Thank you so much! I had this exact trouble with a previous version that I couldn’t find through the registry and removing it through this tool and the ‘name not available’ worked! :smiley:

Hi
I hope to have some help with the installation of Datasmith for Max 2021-2023.
When I launch the installation, see what’s happening :

I have tried to install it from some different folders but it never works.
Could you help me ?
Thanks a lot
Roland

Hi RolandB62 !

Have you uninstalled any previously installed version of the plugin you had on your machine first ?

You can do so using the “Add or Remove Programs” menu of windows.

Cheers,
Antoine

You can also try the following tutorial, which applies to both Unreal Engine and Twinmotion (since the plugin is shared between both softwares).

Datasmith Exporter Plugin Installer Common Errors on Windows OS

Cheers,
Antoine

Hi Antoine
Thanks a lot for your anwsers. It works now and I have to try an import in UE5.01, but I don’t find the Datasmith button; since I’ve installed the new 5.01, the toolbar is not the same, and I’m completly lost !

Thanks again for your help !
Roland

1 Like

Do not forget to activate the plugins you need too.

Thanks a lot Flavien; the plugin was already activated ans it works so well ! Amazing import !
Here is what I have imported (a cabin from Evermotion model) :slight_smile:

Now I need to be more familiar with the new menu…

1 Like

Eu estava com o mesmo problema, mas pela sua postagem consegui resolver o meu tambem. Muito agradecido pela solução.

I had the same problem, but from your post I was able to solve mine too. Thank you very much for the solution.

Could the above link be reposted. I just get bought to an invalid page.

I’m having the same issue. Hoping it can help.

" [Datasmith Exporter Plugin Installer Common Errors on Windows OS ]"

Hi MiddleAgeMan !

Here’s the link :

https://twinmotionhelp.epicgames.com/s/article/Datasmith-Exporter-Plugin-Installer-Common-Errors?language=en_US

Cheers !
Antoine

1 Like

Who can help me with this error in installing? " Installing Unreal Datasmith Exporter for Autodesk 3ds Max"

For those still having problems. Download the previous build that you had installed of unreal datasmith (archived versions). Right click > uninstall. Then reinstall the latest version again.

THANKYOU SO MUCH WORKED LIKE A CHARM

I can’t install version 5.2 after uninstalling it for a newer version of 3dsMax. When I try to install the plugin it tells me that “the exact same version is present on the PC”. Trying to uninstall the version or try to repair it directly from the installation file (right mouse button) it tells me that “The specified operation is valid only for correctly installed products”.
Is there any directory I can clean up or on regedit?

That worked like a charm. Thank you so much :grinning:

That’s the solution I was looking for.
Thank you