Datasmith to Substance Painter via live link = Crash

Has anybody had issues with Datasmith objects in Unreal exporting to Substance Painter via live link to crash Unreal? The same object imported by straight FBX works fine. Not sure if this is a technical limitation of Datasmith, whether Painter is causing the crash or Unreal, anyone aware of the issue?

Thanks.

Hi.

I don’t recall hearing of this one before. Please report all the details at this link so we can fully investigate the issue.

Thanks

I am having the same problem. I’ve imported objects into Unreal (4.25.3) via Datasmith (from 3ds Max 2021) and when I try to use the LiveLink Substance plugin, Unreal crashes when attempting to send my selected object to Substance Painter (2020.2.1).

I have uploaded my logs and error report when the crash dialog pops up.

############

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x00000018

UE4Editor_SubstanceLiveLink!FSubstanceLiveLinkConnection::GetMeshMaterials() [D:\Build++Portal+Promotion\Sync\LocalBuilds\PluginTemp\HostProject\Plugins\Substance\Source\SubstanceLiveLink\Private\SubstanceLiveLinkConnection.cpp:375]
UE4Editor_SubstanceLiveLink!FSubstanceLiveLinkConnection::GeneratePainterProjectJson() [D:\Build++Portal+Promotion\Sync\LocalBuilds\PluginTemp\HostProject\Plugins\Substance\Source\SubstanceLiveLink\Private\SubstanceLiveLinkConnection.cpp:260]
UE4Editor_SubstanceLiveLink!FSubstanceLiveLinkConnection::SendPainterProject() [D:\Build++Portal+Promotion\Sync\LocalBuilds\PluginTemp\HostProject\Plugins\Substance\Source\SubstanceLiveLink\Private\SubstanceLiveLinkConnection.cpp:635]
UE4Editor_SubstanceLiveLink!FSubstanceLiveLinkConnection::SendAssetToSubstancePainter() [D:\Build++Portal+Promotion\Sync\LocalBuilds\PluginTemp\HostProject\Plugins\Substance\Source\SubstanceLiveLink\Private\SubstanceLiveLinkConnection.cpp:89]
UE4Editor_SubstanceLiveLink!<lambda_4884dc02633e35ab157dc0087852c21b>: Operator()() [D:\Build++Portal+Promotion\Sync\LocalBuilds\PluginTemp\HostProject\Plugins\Substance\Source\SubstanceLiveLink\Private\SubstanceLiveLinkModule.cpp:139]
UE4Editor_SubstanceLiveLink!TBaseFunctorDelegateInstance<void __cdecl(void),<lambda_4884dc02633e35ab157dc0087852c21b> >::ExecuteIfSafe() [D:\RocketSync\4.25.0-13144385+++UE4+Release-4.25\Working\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Delegates\DelegateInstancesImpl.h:1007]
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_ApplicationCore
UE4Editor_ApplicationCore