Datasmith sketchup update issue and material editing

Hello everyone, I have recently started to work on UE5 and I have been facing several problems.

1. I use sketchup for modelling and use Datasmith to import the model into UE5. In the inital stage it works just fine, but when I need to make a revision on sketchup and update it on UE5, I loose all of my previous work in UE5. What am I doing wrong? What stages should I follow?
  2. Another problem I am facing is that, while applying materials to the model, to the walls for instance, It applies the material to all of the walls, including the exterior. I have seperated the walls in sketchup, applied different textures inside sketchup but it doesn’t work.
  3. Last but not least, when I was trying to apply roofing material to my roof, I have used multiply+scale+texture coordinate commands to scale the material (which is the way I always use and don’t face a problem.) But, the tiles are facing up, not down, so I needed to rotate it.

image|690x388

When I apply these steps, the shape appears to be distorted. It look heterogenious and distorted to be spesific. How can I solve these problems. Thank you in advance.

@mined99 I’m having the same issue as you mentioned in point 1. Were you able to resolve this? Any workaround?

I’ve found unchecking on reimport materials so it doesn’t override your material settings.

If you have materials checked - it is assuming you want to override and you prefer the changes you made in Sketchup. Unfortunately, it seems like it is all one way or the other and it doesn’t understand nuance for only things you added like Lumion does.

The only reliable way to reimport sketchup models and to retain materials after updates is by using a Dataprep asset, with a corresponding material substitution data table. Once the table is setup you can migrate to new projects to save time and peace of mind that any imports will not overwrite your applied materials!