Datasmith Sketchup 2022 does not load MacOS M1, Montery UE5

Hello,

I can not run the Datasmith plugin for MacOS. I have sketchup 2022. Run on a mac M1 processor with Montery installed. UE5.

Error Loading File /Users//Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2022/SketchUp/Plugins/UnrealDatasmithSketchUp/plugin_main.rb

Error: #<LoadError: dlopen(/Users//Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2022/SketchUp/Plugins/UnrealDatasmithSketchUp/DatasmithSketchUp.bundle, 0x0009): tried: ‘/Users//Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2022/SketchUp/Plugins/UnrealDatasmithSketchUp/DatasmithSketchUp.bundle’ (mach-o file, but is an incompatible architecture (have ‘x86_64’, need ‘arm64e’)) - /Users//Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2022/SketchUp/Plugins/UnrealDatasmithSketchUp/DatasmithSketchUp.bundle>

/Applications/SketchUp 2022/SketchUp.app/Contents/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.7.1/lib/ruby/2.7.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:92:in `require’

/Applications/SketchUp 2022/SketchUp.app/Contents/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.7.1/lib/ruby/2.7.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:92:in `require’

/Users//Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2022/SketchUp/Plugins/UnrealDatasmithSketchUp/plugin_main.rb:139:in `_load’

/Users//Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2022/SketchUp/Plugins/UnrealDatasmithSketchUp/plugin_main.rb:114:in `block in load’

/Users//Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2022/SketchUp/Plugins/UnrealDatasmithSketchUp/plugin_main.rb:103:in `checked_call’

/Users//Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2022/SketchUp/Plugins/UnrealDatasmithSketchUp/plugin_main.rb:114:in `load’

/Users//Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2022/SketchUp/Plugins/UnrealDatasmithSketchUp/plugin_main.rb:1023:in `module:Datasmith

/Users//Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2022/SketchUp/Plugins/UnrealDatasmithSketchUp/plugin_main.rb:56:in `module:EpicGames

/Users//Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2022/SketchUp/Plugins/UnrealDatasmithSketchUp/plugin_main.rb:16:in `<top (required)>’

/Applications/SketchUp 2022/SketchUp.app/Contents/Resources/Content/Tools/extensions.rb:197:in `require’

/Applications/SketchUp 2022/SketchUp.app/Contents/Resources/Content/Tools/extensions.rb:197:in `load’

/Users//Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2022/SketchUp/Plugins/UnrealDatasmithSketchUp.rb:51:in `register_extension’

/Users//Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2022/SketchUp/Plugins/UnrealDatasmithSketchUp.rb:51:in `module:Datasmith

/Users//Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2022/SketchUp/Plugins/UnrealDatasmithSketchUp.rb:7:in `module:EpicGames

/Users//Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2022/SketchUp/Plugins/UnrealDatasmithSketchUp.rb:6:in `<top (required)>’

I get the plugin widget running but when I export my project through it, it makes UE5 crashing when I try to open it. has anyone being able to import a previously exported prject from Sketchup pro 21 or 22 ?
I am trying to export a full house geometry, and I assumed that if the export through datasmith went correctly it would not cause any issue when opening it in UE5.

Checking with Dev.
The installation of plugin looked successful?

I’m having the same problem. Tried to load extension following instructions but the new tools never showed. The extension shows in the extension manager list but does not show as direct link in twinmothion - also causes all my sketchup files to crash with following error message - Error Loading File /Users

Error: #<LoadError: tried: '/Users//Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Hello @anonymous_user_64f40385,
Apparently it is a known problem on M1 mac.
Can you try to launch the sketchup software using the “Open using Rosetta” option, which should in theory allow you to run x86_64 binaries on your M1 Mac.

Let us know if that works.

1 Like

@NickWmesh, are you on a M1 mac too?

Yea I am on an M1 mac. I found my work around was to run sketch-up 2021 and use software and plug-ins for that - seems to work ok.

1 Like

Same issue here, running on a Mac Studio (Ultra). Installed the plugin via the Extensions Manager. It said it was successfully installed. Got the same error as @anonymous_user_64f40385. I’ll try the '21 work around. Look forward to seeing if there is an update here.

what about the “Open using Rosetta” option when launching Sketchup? does that work for anyone?

Actually opening in Rosetta worked. For those who need a reminder, I found that setting in Get Info of the application. Check “Open using rosetta”. I then installed the .rbz file using the extension manager and restarted the app again.

The instructions tell you to go to File → Export, this is incorrect. There is now a new submenu for Datasmith under Extensions, and an option is “Export”.

This worked for me, thank you so much!!

1 Like

Rosseta worked thank you.
close all programs,
Follow the steps in this tutorial for Rosseta “Photoshop CC 2022: How To Open with Rosetta (for M1 Macs) - YouTube
open SketchUp clicking an actual woking file and the data smith options should be visible- if not, try again restarting your computer.

Good Luck

Hey guys, I am really frustrated because I feel like I’m at my rope’s end. I have followed all of the suggested methods (installing Rosetta, going to sketchup in finder and changing it to open with rosetta, installing the datasmith plugin) but when I go to my extension manager in sketchup the datasmith signature still says its unsigned even after I changed my extension loading policy to unrestricted, nor do I find the export option for unreal when I try to export my model. It has been over multiple days that I’ve tried to figure this out. Any further help is super appreciated.

Ok, I believe I fixed my issue, just wanted to help anyone else who might have had the same frustration. To export your model with datasmith after following the above instruction, you DO NOT go to file then export (as I had seen in past tutorials) but you go to your extensions tab at the top to access all things datasmith. Thanks for the help everyone.

Worked. Was having exact same issue as original with my M1 Ultra. Running Sketchup 2022. After opening in Rosetta - all works.